• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Covering???

Robotech

70cc twin V2
Waiting also, as I am about to strip and recover a 40%. Anyone who says they have a "fool-proof" method for covering has never seen me cover. :(

thurmma

150cc
I could REALLY use the fool proof solution as I am getting ready to lay some rather large pieces of ultracote over ultracote to finish a rebuild/recover of a 3DHS 103" Extra 330SC.

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
Another great tool to have is a woodpecker to pierce rows of tiny holes in the covering over which you're gonna put another layer. I've used this quite a bit and it really helps buy letting the air go thru instead of getting trapped between the layers.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Another great tool to have is a woodpecker to pierce rows of tiny holes in the covering over which you're gonna put another layer. I've used this quite a bit and it really helps buy letting the air go thru instead of getting trapped between the layers.

Yes! VERY important. I typically cut the parts to be laid over top of other covering, lay them out and then use a fine tip sharpie to draw the outline about 1/8" or so outside the actual edge (permanent marker is OK). Then wood pecker the crap out of the inside area but stay at least 3/8" or so from your marker line. Now apply covering as per normal with medium temp. Wash away marker with solvent or some CA debonder on a paper towel. Voila, no bubbles and you don't see the little holes when done (as long as you don't push too deep, only deep enough to puncture the covering not damage wood).

Pistolera

HEY!..GET OUTTA MY TREE!
One thing I do with the woodpecker is take it apart and sharpen the points so they penetrate easily without dimpling the wood. I take each blade and chuck it in a drill (use a short bolt and nuts). Then you can spin it against a file or stone.

Scottoverland

New to GSN!
I find that a cool temp setting... heat that will tack down an over lay gently enable some rework and some wood pecker prep to be the key. Two irons are critical. Cool iron tack and position to lay flat, then the second hotter iron to finalize the placement. NO RUBBING. You are not ironing a shirt. Place heat and move on. Resist sliding contact.

I F love to cover. You see your plane develop in front of you!