• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Covering???

How about this - my friend Ron Storer (RIP) used to cover with base color Ultra and then shoot paint for all the secondary color and trim work. Results were great! Anybody else tried that?
I have done many planes with Ultracoat and then painted the trim. Works great if done right,but makes repairs a bit complicated.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
If it helps, patience is the key. Whether it be Mono or Ultra. I have found that I like the Ultracote much better. It just seems to be more user friendly. IMO. If putting down layers, Heat is also very key. First layer sealed down with good steady heat. Second layer, slow, cooler heat until it is "COMPLETELY" in place and adhered. Typically I have found I don't have to go back and re-shrink. If I do, very low heat on the top layer. No gas bubbles under the layers. Open structure as we all know is easy. Sheeted construction can be a PITA.
20131106_191528.jpg
20131106_191421.jpg
20131105_224532.jpg
20131029_211843.jpg
20131029_200241.jpg
20131029_184806.jpg
20131028_111608.jpg

From my complete strip down and recover of my 260.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Nice work stang! I think I saw someone piece parts of covering together on glass and then apply them to a plane. Very similar to your scheme.....was that you by chance?

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Nice work stang! I think I saw someone piece parts of covering together on glass and then apply them to a plane. Very similar to your scheme.....was that you by chance?
Thanks.... Nope not me. But I had heard of that being done. I thought it was a kinda cool idea. The only problem I found with that procedure, was that a guy would have to use one of the backing sheets under the covering, other wise the adhesive may stick to the glass. But I suppose if a guy used some windex on the glass, it would keep it from sticking huh? I just decided to do it all free hand and a section at a time.

Yakman

70cc twin V2
Looks great, takes a bit of time and patience for that. Years ago useing Monokote i tryed the glass idea with that Monokote solvent. It worked i thought fairly well, till i put the piece i made on the wing. It went south when i put the heat to it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Looks great, takes a bit of time and patience for that. Years ago useing Monokote i tryed the glass idea with that Monokote solvent. It worked i thought fairly well, till i put the piece i made on the wing. It went south when i put the heat to it.
Bummer. I was afraid something like that would happen. Guess staying with what works speaks volumes huh?