• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Curtiss XP-55 Ascender

Jetpainter

640cc Uber Pimp
One ting that I forgot to tell you is that I make my actual parts out of epoxy, not polyester resin. For some reason I got in the habit of using polyester resin for the molds, it is a bit cheaper than epoxy but other than that I can think of no advantage. Here is a couple of photo's of the 109E that I did, the first shot is with just the gel coat sprayed, the second photo is with the chopped strand matt in place.

View attachment 84790 View attachment 84791
Thanks Larry!

Larry B

70cc twin V2
First off let me set the record straight, I screwed up when I told you guys I use 6oz chopped strand matt to make my molds! I was glassing my Ascender wing today and took a look at the matt, turns out it is 1.5oz matt, sorry about that:)
Now for your question about how do you spray tooling gel coat. I use a super hi-tec, state of the art setup for this. It is an old $5.00 solvent spray gun that I have converted to spray really heavy materials. This little beauty will really lay the material on nice and thick which is what you want for your mold surface. The only problem is that I can't find a big jar that will work so I end up re-filling the small one many times.

W3.JPG
I9.JPG
J1.JPG

Larry B

70cc twin V2
Now back to the Ascender build, today I glassed the lower wing surface. I'll let this cure over night, do a bit of sanding around the edges tomorrow and then glass the top.

J3.JPG

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
thank you for that photo! I have virtually the same air nozzle/gun but I never could figure out what the hole in the side of the nose piece was for! It must have also had a tube to draw in liquid for spraying! my mouth just hung open as I was looking at that photo and realizing what I was looking at.

Larry B

70cc twin V2
You are very welcome Bartman:) It sounds like all you need is a jar, 2 zip ties, and a piece of tubing that will fit your nozzle and you'll be in business.
My wife and I go thru salad dressing quite a bit so I just save the jars for spraying stuff like tooling gel coat and just throw them away after each use, why bother cleaning the jar when I have a box full of them?
You had a spray set-up all along and didn't even know it!