• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

tl3;10963 wrote: Nice job on the air dams. FWIW, you can cut those down quite a bit and still have them develop more than enough low pressure area to to the job. Rick Byrd and Dean Nistetter did a bunch of tests on this a couple years ago and found the 1/8" was plenty or lip height to do the job.

t

WOW! that is awesome.

i will do that for sure, being that these are removable, that would be easy to do. thank you.

alpha 20 said:

"Not seen so many dams before. Is it for getting rid of hot air?"

yes indeed. i have done same on my 40% 3dHS extra 330 LX, and engine temps are insane low, even in Louisiana weather (ambient high 90's), top cylinder head temps are in 280's to 320 F max. take a look at this:

11202=4498-IMG_5760.jpg
11202=4498-IMG_5760.jpg
11202=4499-IMG_5761.jpg
11202=4499-IMG_5761.jpg

IMAC FANATIC;10948 wrote: Nice work there, those dams are an often overlooked but vital part of these machines. Those look solid and extremly functional. Ive still to decide on how ill complete mine.

i agree with you big time, i, being also one of them who always overlooked this, but this makes a huge difference in the ability to cool the motor down. cannot stress enough how important this is. thanks to telemetry, it has given me a wealth of knowledge on what is happening to the airplane during flight, this helps to build it better also.

i have made the gas tanks. they will not see fuel for a good 1 year to 18 months from now!!! those water drops should evaporate by then....

each tank is one liter, and each one will have a line to each carb. there will be no filter between the clunk and the carb. i will place a filter in the fuel line in to fill the tanks. those are PSP caps and fittings. the black tubing is Viton.

13525=7505-IMG_6035.jpg
13525=7505-IMG_6035.jpg
13525=7504-IMG_6036.jpg
13525=7504-IMG_6036.jpg

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Alright, the other one is up and flying.. get back to work ! Lol.

Just realized... your in Shreveport. . My son just moved to Benton 20 miles away, like a week ago, when I come out to visit we should have dinner or something. No idea when exactly, but would be good to actually meet a friend.

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
Alright, the other one is up and flying.. get back to work ! Lol.

Just realized... your in Shreveport. . My son just moved to Benton 20 miles away, like a week ago, when I come out to visit we should have dinner or something. No idea when exactly, but would be good to actually meet a friend.

question for anyone and everyone???

what do you all like better, and tell me why..

monokote vs ultracote?

i need to cover this bird and wanted to get an idea of what to buy and from where.

i currently have three of the long rolls of deep blue, true red, and white (all ultracote)

but i am thinking of a different coloring scheme, and will need to get some other colors. i have also noticed that Ultracote comes in some very interesting "finishes". they also have a carbon fiber and kevlar finish. they also have all kinds of patterns.

do not know much about the Monokote, have used it years and years ago, i mean, like 20 to 30 years ago or so.

Monokote all the way for me. I've covered two giant scales in the last two years and one was with ultracote, and the other with monokote. The monokote went on much easier, and has a much better selection of colors. If you choose ultracote, it will be fine though, they're both good, I just prefer mono; it also seems to wrinkle a lot less.