• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dalton 300 ml build thread.

I do not like the step-off between the back of the cowl and the top of the hatch area. it is probably less than 1/8" off. But i still do not like this.

I am building it up with some fiberglass cloth. once it dries, i will sand it down, and smooth it out, we will see where we are at.

Attachments

• IMG_6711.JPG
    IMG_6711.JPG
    66.9 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_6714.JPG
    IMG_6714.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 207
once the front of the hatch is smoothed out, i will finish preparing the canopy area for priming. One of my concerns was of the paint or primer bleeding thru masking tape and finding its way into places it should not be. I did some research, and in several car painting forums, i came across several whom recommended the 3M Vinyl tape (471). When i saw the price, i was hesitant at 1st (22 dollars a roll), but then, i read where some had also used it on their model airplanes, and got one roll. Good thing is i do not need much of this tape. All i need now is to obtain the thick brown paper to finish covering the canopy, and then i will get some scotch pads to remove the shine from the plastic border, then do a final sanding and smoothing out. then prime time!!
IMG_6715.JPG

mndless

Don't know a thing..
I'm on Tony's list for a 'ready to cover' early next year... going to do the canopy the same... appreciate the pics on this !!

I do not like the step-off between the back of the cowl and the top of the hatch area. it is probably less than 1/8" off. But i still do not like this.

I am building it up with some fiberglass cloth. once it dries, i will sand it down, and smooth it out, we will see where we are at.

Which way is the balsa grain running there?? Looks like side to side. Just wondering how hard it was to sheet it like that? Appears that you may have had to use alot of water to make the sheeting bend like that. If the sheeting grain ran fore aft, there would not be a need for alot of moisture to make the sheeting to form to the hatch frame.

To each his own, tho. I look for the easiest method that will make my job easier. :)

The pics show how i did mine.

Attachments

• 20141117_152727.jpg
    20141117_152727.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 170
  • 20141117_155109.jpg
    20141117_155109.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 210
LOL!!! my bad!! well, it actually was not that difficult to do, but wish i had done it your way!!! it did have to get pretty moist!!