• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Demystifying Vacuum Bagging of foam wings!!

BalsaDust

So what do you expect the RTF weight of the new pump system to be? How many rolls of Ultracote to cover it, and what scheme do you have in mind for it. Will it hover or is it just for CJ'ing around? So many details left out Terry.;) Looks good bud.

BalsaDust

yup I expected a reply. That's something I have been thinking about for whenever I design a profile in the 20-50cc range is foam core wings. The little small one I'm messing with right now wouldn't be worth it.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
yup I expected a reply. That's something I have been thinking about for whenever I design a profile in the 20-50cc range is foam core wings. The little small one I'm messing with right now wouldn't be worth it.

LOL, I meant put a complete RTF profile in the bag and see how flat we can make it.....you are underestimating my little dancing devil:devil-dance:

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
OK, I found something to try out my new vacuum pump / tank setup!! I'm making new wings for my 88" EF Edge so I need a socket to fit the metric tube.

I coated the stock tube with Vaseline since from what I've seen on the web this works better than PVA and wax. Then I rolled the tube in parchment paper and taped the ends.
I cut my first glass and mixed resin. I wanted to try to give it a carbon fiber look so I mixed in some graphite powder. Spread the resin on the glass and roll it onto the wing tube.
Then I had this fiberglass sleeve that I've never used before that is made from 10oz fabric. I slid that over the wraps of fiberglass and pulled it tight. Then I mixed up more resin but this time I put graphite and one heaping teaspoon of a filler that I used on my cowl molds that is micro-balloons, silica and 1/32" milled glass fibers. This made the resin into a black paste about the consistency of ketchup. This will add strength, and also fill the weave of the 10oz fabric so I don't have holes through the finished tube (at least I think that's what it will do).

Then I wrapped it with stretch wrap and put it in the vacuum bag. Only thing I thought of after that was that I should have wrapped it with wax paper, then stretch wrap for a smoother finished product. But, I'll try that next time.....this won't get seen after installation anyway so for now it's a test.

So, since I've never done this before we'll all find out if it passes or fails in a few hours......
_DSC0009.JPG
_DSC0012.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0004.JPG
    _DSC0004.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 373
  • _DSC0005.JPG
    _DSC0005.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 356
  • _DSC0006.JPG
    _DSC0006.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 380
  • _DSC0007.JPG
    _DSC0007.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 359
  • _DSC0008.JPG
    _DSC0008.JPG
    53.7 KB · Views: 387
  • _DSC0010.JPG
    _DSC0010.JPG
    121.6 KB · Views: 373
  • _DSC0011.JPG
    _DSC0011.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 346

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Well they came out absolutely fantastic......suffice to say I will never buy a phenolic tube again because this fits perfect....no slop at all. with one hand over the tube and one hand covering the end of the new phenolic it feels like a shock absorber when you push them together....no slop!

As predicted the stretch wrap left a rough outside finish but there is no holes in it so they are ready to use. Next time I'll wrap the assembly with parchment paper and then just tape that and stick it in the vacuum bag so it comes out smooth.

Already glued them into some freshly cut wing cores!
_DSC0014.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0013.JPG
    _DSC0013.JPG
    87 KB · Views: 385
  • _DSC0020.JPG
    _DSC0020.JPG
    53.5 KB · Views: 396
  • _DSC0015.JPG
    _DSC0015.JPG
    66.8 KB · Views: 363
  • _DSC0018.JPG
    _DSC0018.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 341

BalsaDust

LOL, I meant put a complete RTF profile in the bag and see how flat we can make it.....you are underestimating my little dancing devil:devil-dance:

LOL I knew what the little dancing devil was for I was just taking it somewhere different. But yeah I don't think a slab would have much fun in a vacuum bag. That tube looks awesome by the way. Before you know it you will be a one stop shop making all the parts for your planes. Great work.