• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Demystifying Vacuum Bagging of foam wings!!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I should note, for the 4.5 hours that the tube was in the vacuum bag, my pump ran TWICE!! 10 gallon vacuum reservoir is pretty badass!!

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
I should note, for the 4.5 hours that the tube was in the vacuum bag, my pump ran TWICE!! 10 gallon vacuum reservoir is pretty badass!!

I was going to ask how often you pumps would kick on with that big tank. How long did it take to pull the air out of the tank when you first fire it up?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I was going to ask how often you pumps would kick on with that big tank. How long did it take to pull the air out of the tank when you first fire it up?

Maybe 15-20 seconds. If I was not using 1/8" hose it would be way less. Even 1/4" line would probably only take a few seconds. I'll bet it will run a few more times with the wings I'm going to vacuum in the next day or two just because the foam holds a little air. I'll keep track of it when I get those going.

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Maybe 15-20 seconds. If I was not using 1/8" hose it would be way less. Even 1/4" line would probably only take a few seconds. I'll bet it will run a few more times with the wings I'm going to vacuum in the next day or two just because the foam holds a little air. I'll keep track of it when I get those going.

That is a lot faster than I thought, but you do have two pumps going. That is very cool.

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Terry...I have done a few sockets in the past but not bagged. What was the variance of OD throughout the tube?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry...I have done a few sockets in the past but not bagged. What was the variance of OD throughout the tube?

Quite a bit but since it was getting poly-glued into a foam wing it did not matter. Next time I'm going to try again by wrapping it with parchment paper, taping the ends and sticking that in the vacuum. The stretch wrap deal is what made my outside funky. Inside was perfect fit.

tylerzx9r

100cc
Nice Job Terry, As we talked during the Viper ST build I was wondering how long it would take to vacuum the tank down. I was surprised to see it wasn't very long at all. Looks like I better start saving money for a vacuum system!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
So I had a dehumidifier crap out but it sounded like it was still running. I broke it down and did some poking around with a volt meter and figured out that all you need to get the pump to work is the capacitor that is already right there. I cleaned out all the dehumidifier parts and hooked up a hose to my 10 gallon system to see what it would pull.

HOLY CRAP!!! This thing pulls more volume than the ACP pump!!! It pulls almost exactly the volume of my $400+ larger pump!!!

I evacuated this 10 gallon tank to 10HG in 60 seconds exactly. Wow, this is cool. So with this I could get an adjustable vacuum switch from ACP and a gauge and I would have a complete vacuum system for a few dollars.

This dehumidifier has been in the corner in my basement for some time and I have another one that is on it's last legs and warranty is gone. I may have another pump from that one to try as well.

image001.jpg
image003.jpg
image002.jpg

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
That's awesome! What else would have a similar pump that could be re-purposed? Looks just like a refrigerator pump.