• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Demystifying Vacuum Bagging of foam wings!!

BalsaDust

Great videos Terry. I had been wondering for a while how the bag locks worked to seal the ends up but not anymore

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Here is the finished product. All out of the bags, ready to remove tape, clean up the edges and start attaching the outside edge stock prior to cutting out the surfaces.

I hope this has helped to show how easy this really is and if you could feel the rigidity of the finished product it is simply amazing and lightweight.
_DSC0388.JPG

Attachments

• _DSC0387.JPG
    _DSC0387.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 250
  • _DSC0389.JPG
    _DSC0389.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 256
  • _DSC0390.JPG
    _DSC0390.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 245

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I had a couple of PM's about using cauls, this is really hard to photograph but hopefully you can see how straight they come out. This wing you can't even slide a pc. of paper under the level along it's length. This has been pretty typical of the results I've been having.

_DSC0391.JPG
_DSC0392.JPG

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Terry thanks for taking the time to do this. You have convinced me to go to vacuum bagging, I just picked up a Hyperlite Slick kit from Rick the other day and this will be the process I use for the foam. I have been following your builds and I must say you are a true craftsman.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Terry thanks for taking the time to do this. You have convinced me to go to vacuum bagging, I just picked up a Hyperlite Slick kit from Rick the other day and this will be the process I use for the foam. I have been following your builds and I must say you are a true craftsman.

Cool, thanks! I flew the crap out of my Hyperlite this summer. It's a huge plane but a pretty quick build, especially with the bagging. I don't think I did the entire plane in one day like this one, but for sure two days and it was done. Rick and I had a thread on that plane, post some pics on there as you go!!:yesss:

Bipenut

70cc twin V2
Cool, thanks! I flew the crap out of my Hyperlite this summer. It's a huge plane but a pretty quick build, especially with the bagging. I don't think I did the entire plane in one day like this one, but for sure two days and it was done. Rick and I had a thread on that plane, post some pics on there as you go!!:yesss:
Thanks, I will post some pictures as I go. I might have some questions for you and Rick too, since I have only built one plane which is my avatar.

ericb

Team WTFO
GSN Contributor
I had a couple of PM's about using cauls, this is really hard to photograph but hopefully you can see how straight they come out. This wing you can't even slide a pc. of paper under the level along it's length. This has been pretty typical of the results I've been having.

View attachment 3311 View attachment 3312
I can vouch for the straightness. The parts come out the straightest I have ever seen. And the rigidity is amazing.