• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Dietrich 42% Slick rebuild.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
4 cyl, I wish. I mean I really wish:sorry:.

Covering, monocote, all I ever use.

I use that :steamer: on everything!!!
Got my sons DLE 222 from Tower for $1300.00 after coupon savings. For that kind of money, I too will own one. Just not sure what airframe I should get to put it on though. LOL...

-Rick-

100cc
Ya, $1300 for you but $1750 plus tax for me up here in the land of the Beaver. Plus I am keeping this plane for IMAC, she don't need that much under the hood!!

And I really want to get my first DA, would rather pay extra for something that has great service and can be repaired if need be.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Ya, $1300 for you but $1750 plus tax for me up here in the land of the Beaver. Plus I am keeping this plane for IMAC, she don't need that much under the hood!!

And I really want to get my first DA, would rather pay extra for something that has great service and can be repaired if need be.
Very good point. Solution? 1) build it for both imac and 3d. 2) the good ole' south would welcome you to the warm and sunny climates we all enjoy so much. Ugh...if only it were the truth. LOL.... :laughing:

-Rick-

100cc
-28 Celsius (-18.4 Fahrenheit) here last night. I'll pack the van up and head down tonight!!!!! ( I wish :()

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
-28 Celsius (-18.4 Fahrenheit) here last night. I'll pack the van up and head down tonight!!!!! ( I wish :()
Weeeeell.....I guess it ain't so bad here after all then. I figured I was cold. You all are just plain right down frozen. Doah....

-Rick-

100cc
A another problem with this plane is that it had a very weak rudder post. I put two carbon rods down thought the top into solid balsa under the post. With the smaller rod I cut teeth into the end, put it in my drill and very slowly let it eat its way though the foam core into the solid balsa, the larger rod I just happened to have a 14 inch drill bit of the same size.

Can't see it breaking off to quick now!!

Attachments

• DSCF0472.JPG
    DSCF0472.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 326
  • DSCF0458.JPG
    DSCF0458.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 309
  • DSCF0459.JPG
    DSCF0459.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 299
  • DSCF0460.JPG
    DSCF0460.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 267
  • DSCF0471.JPG
    DSCF0471.JPG
    52.8 KB · Views: 304

-Rick-

100cc
I should add that it added very little weight. I did weigh the rods before I put them in, but forgot to write it down :very_angry:

-Rick-

100cc
first off let me say that this is a beautiful plane. I had quite a few problems with mine at first but after I figured out what was going on I had my plane flying beautifully. The biggest problem that I had to solve was an air flow for cooling problem. The bottom of the cowl seems to slope up fairly fast on the bottom so with the cowl open up down there the front of the opening is much higher than the back of the opening and it actually created a high pressure area on the bottom of the cowl and would not let the engine cool. I remedied this by putting an air dam around the front edge of the opening on the bottom of the cowl to create and negative air space much like PAU does on their pkanes. This helped tremendously and solved a lot of the issues that I had with the plane. I would suggest that you do something similar. You will want to add an extra anti rotation pin on the wings and beef up the area where your canopy bolts go through as well. I had to do some roll coupling and other programming mixes as well but after those were done the plane flew awesome and looked awesome I hope that you enjoy yours.!

Crash flow, did you do anything to the wings on your slick?

crashflow

70cc twin V2
Mine wing broke at the root, in line with the hinge line because the wing bolt was all the way to the edge and in the little skinny spot off the end of the aileron. I added another wing bolt in the main part of the wing by gorrila gluing a wood block in the wing. Drill and tapped it then ca'ed to harden it up. I had to do that to all the wingbolt locations because they all pulled out.

-Rick-

100cc
Cut the old broken hinges out from the rudder........

I think the slots were put in with a chainsaw!!

Attachments

• DSCF0505.JPG
    DSCF0505.JPG
    86.2 KB · Views: 290
  • DSCF0503.JPG
    DSCF0503.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 294