• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Wow getting complicated. From reading all the info above the four bladed propeller is important to you. So the weight of the 150 plus the reduction gearbox would it not be close to the weight of the 230cc engine alone. If that is the case then I would live with one inch sticking out the bottom and try to hide it as best as I can. With gear reduction unit will a starter still fit. But you have to agree from the hobby point of view great problem to have this is all so exciting.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
While you are dead set on scale, and I get it, have you taken into account the ground clearance? And being as I have done scale a time or two I can tell you our planes are not scaled the same visually, sometimes scale does not look right and occasionally does not even work. As for reworking the nose for either engine, that is just pard of the scale thing. And it more than likely will not be the only area you have to modify.
But above and beyond anything, you do have to do what suits you!

Wow getting complicated. From reading all the info above the four bladed propeller is important to you. So the weight of the 150 plus the reduction gearbox would it not be close to the weight of the 230cc engine alone. If that is the case then I would live with one inch sticking out the bottom and try to hide it as best as I can. With gear reduction unit will a starter still fit. But you have to agree from the hobby point of view great problem to have this is all so exciting.
See? This is the biggest reason (among others) that I make this exclusively to GSN. I can always count on great suggestions and outstanding responses from the most top notch fellas around. I've actually worried about those very points both you guys pointed out. And probably the biggest reason a specific Kolm is not already in transit for my hungry hands to... umm, hold! Lol. I need to measure ground clearance and overall size comparison for the proper prop size to keep it all in perspective. There is the prospect of a variable pitch prop too. I am counting on all you scale and warbird addicts to keep me lined out here.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Talking about variable pitch propellers they are expensive but well worth the money. Help my friend with four bladed propeller it was difficult and the selection limited. They honestly did not work as we had tried to predict. The conclusion we came to and ended up doing was buying a variable pitch propeller and just fine tuning it until the flew like he wanted it to and loaded the engine properly. Now this is nowhere near to what you are building but it was Mustang with DA85 in it.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Talking about variable pitch propellers they are expensive but well worth the money. Help my friend with four bladed propeller it was difficult and the selection limited. They honestly did not work as we had tried to predict. The conclusion we came to and ended up doing was buying a variable pitch propeller and just fine tuning it until the flew like he wanted it to and loaded the engine properly. Now this is nowhere near to what you are building but it was Mustang with DA85 in it.
That is good information to have. Fortunately I don't have to go that route after all. Ah yeah!!!
Really exciting news. Talked to Gotz today. I had an array of questions regarding the Kolm 150 triple and the 230. I needed clarification and input to make a decision of one or the other engines. Turns out the biggest four blade prop the 150 will turn is a 26x14 Fiala. It does however come in as many configurations as a person could want. Taking into consideration the size of the DS, I really think a 26" prop would be too small. Ah but here is the exciting news. The 230 cc will turn a Fiala 30x14 four blade prop at eye blistering/ear piercing speed. That would cut the actual "True Scale" size down to just 1.5" short per side. And as Ace pointed out, Actual size may or may not be reflective of the perspective size of the plane it is being used on. Take the Carf Mustang for example. They a 28x16 Fiala. And it looks completely bad ass on that plane.
(by the way, one of my favorite videos of this plane)
He also told me that as for length, that can be changed with a simple hub adapter swap out. This means the 230 will be able to stay completely in the cowl of the DS Mustang. So I am waiting to hear back from Gotz on the 230. The only unfortunate thing about this endeavor is that the prices have gone up about 5%. Not a deal breaker, but not appreciated either. LOL. There is always the 150 with onboard starter for quite a bit less. But as Gotz pointed out, buy one that you will be able to swap out to another plane easily and one that has easy retail. Sooo yeah, The 230 just might be the one to come live with me and the red heads.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
That is good information to have. Fortunately I don't have to go that route after all. Ah yeah!!!
Really exciting news. Talked to Gotz today. I had an array of questions regarding the Kolm 150 triple and the 230. I needed clarification and input to make a decision of one or the other engines. Turns out the biggest four blade prop the 150 will turn is a 26x14 Fiala. It does however come in as many configurations as a person could want. Taking into consideration the size of the DS, I really think a 26" prop would be too small. Ah but here is the exciting news. The 230 cc will turn a Fiala 30x14 four blade prop at eye blistering/ear piercing speed. That would cut the actual "True Scale" size down to just 1.5" short per side. And as Ace pointed out, Actual size may or may not be reflective of the perspective size of the plane it is being used on. Take the Carf Mustang for example. They a 28x16 Fiala. And it looks completely bad ass on that plane.
(by the way, one of my favorite videos of this plane)
He also told me that as for length, that can be changed with a simple hub adapter swap out. This means the 230 will be able to stay completely in the cowl of the DS Mustang. So I am waiting to hear back from Gotz on the 230. The only unfortunate thing about this endeavor is that the prices have gone up about 5%. Not a deal breaker, but not appreciated either. LOL. There is always the 150 with onboard starter for quite a bit less. But as Gotz pointed out, buy one that you will be able to swap out to another plane easily and one that has easy retail. Sooo yeah, The 230 just might be the one to come live with me and the red heads.
Well now that the engine is all sorted out it is time to start planning the build. It must hard to imagine that in while you will have mustang like the one in the video above.