• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Don Smith P-51 Mustang

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Not too much progress the last couple of days on the big mustang. Been kind of tired after work. However, this evening I did take a few minutes to double check the alignment of the ribs laid down already. Sanded the sheathing overlap and spars on the left constructed wing center section. Laminated W1 for the right-wing to W1 of the left-wing. The next step I will accomplish will be joining the center section right wing ribs to the left wing center section ribs. This is where it's going to get a little tricky. There are a couple of procedures that I can do to join them. Not decided exactly which method I will use, But whichever one I decide on I want to maintain the structural integrity and strength of the Center Wing section while achieving the correct the diehiedral. Photos to follow.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I took a few minutes this evening to work on the big Mustang wing. I had to find a way to get the front Diehierdral brace in place without hacking everything up. So..As I am looking at it, it occurred to me that the easiest way to join the two center section halves was to "slot" the brace and the ribs. So that is what I did. It should be much easier now to join the center section together. Basically all I have to do now is set the proper height of the left wing panel in relation to the right wing being built, epoxy the brace and glue the ribs to the spars. Then I can start with the guts of the right wing to match the left wing. Sure would like to have most of the framing on the wing done by the middle of the month.

A few photos....

20191002_175153.jpg 20191002_175157.jpg 20191002_175210.jpg 20191002_175219.jpg 20191002_175409.jpg 20191002_175415.jpg 20191002_175749.jpg 20191002_175753.jpg 20191002_185309.jpg 20191002_185314.jpg 20191002_185326.jpg 20191002_185356.jpg 20191002_185415.jpg 20191002_185515.jpg

Still a lot to do, but less today than yesterday. LOL

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I spent a couple more hours with the Behemoth Stang wing this evening after work. The plan last night was to decide on a plan of attach to join the center wing section halves. I decided that I did not want to compromise the structural strength or integrity of the wing, so I opted to slot the ribs and the front diehiedral brace. As seen in the photos from last night, it worked really well. The first thing I did was remove the right wing panel skeleton from the plans and building board, then move the everything down to the end of my building table. I needed the extra length to rest the left wing panel on the table at the correct height to join the halves.

20191003_180456.jpg 20191003_180510.jpg 20191003_182208.jpg 20191003_182215.jpg

With the plans moved down and the right wing skeleton pinned back to the board, I could not start the joining process. Not really difficult at all. I just need to pay attention to 7386 things all at once. LOL. Seriously though, I just needed to make sure everything aligned up with the plans, then set the W2 and W3 ribs on the rear aft spar and tack glue them into place.

20191003_190034.jpg 20191003_190041.jpg 20191003_190054.jpg

With the diehiedral brace resting flat on the building board to insure proper angle, I measured the wing angle and perfect. Ten degrees with the right wing skeleton laying flat on the building board, left wing panel raised off the table. Which that will equate to 5 degrees on each wing tip, thus giving us the proper angle of the wings. The 85 degree Sierra Giant Scale gear will fit perfectly.

20191003_190113.jpg 20191003_190145.jpg 20191003_191055.jpg 20191003_191109.jpg

All I can say is, this is one "BEHEMOTH STANG" wing...wow. LOL. Thankfully the last 30 or so inches of each wing section will reduce the overall length for ease of transporting. I think when I am done with this bird, the center wing section will stay attached to help the moving of this monster Mustang.

Looking from the left wing tip, it is easy to see the 2 degree washout needed to make this beast fly bullet fast and arrow true.

20191003_191241.jpg

It's looking as though I will have the weekend off from work. I have some maintenance to do on the 157cs powered 330sc. Going to regasket the entire engine and install complete new exhaust system. The Behemoth Yak needs a little TLC too. Replacing the rudder servos....(Don't ask me why...it is too painful...LOL). The 170 H-9 Sukhoi needs a new axle and her tail gear repaird. (This is like a 2.3 minute repair.) If my prop shows up, I want to mount and start the Roto 85fsi. Yippie.... 4 stroke power...yes!! LOL. Be on the lookout for new updates to "What I did in the workshop" thread.

I hope I can spend plenty of time on the Mustang wing and get her close. I am really anxious and wound up again. Lets build, lets build...lets....BUILD!!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
The building passion comes and goes. Love it though when I get wound up and want to build all day long.
I get the same way also. There are times when I don't even want to look at the construction of a plane. And yet, there are other times that I would like nothing more than to lock myself to my building table and shut the whole world completely out. Right now I am in a massively high tide crest. All I can think about is building on the big mustang. So much to the point that I may skip the maintenance procedures I briefly touched on last night and just build all weekend long. If I did that, I am pretty sure the main Wings would be nearly completely built.

Maybe I should take a poll. What do you guys think? Should I break off a little bit here and there to do some maintenance on my other aircraft? Or should I pull an all Weekender of nothing but Behemoth Mustang build? I will let @pawnshopmike talley the store. LOL I am not able to count past 1. Lol

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I get the same way also. There are times when I don't even want to look at the construction of a plane. And yet, there are other times that I would like nothing more than to lock myself to my building table and shut the whole world completely out. Right now I am in a massively high tide crest. All I can think about is building on the big mustang. So much to the point that I may skip the maintenance procedures I briefly touched on last night and just build all weekend long. If I did that, I am pretty sure the main Wings would be nearly completely built.

Maybe I should take a poll. What do you guys think? Should I break off a little bit here and there to do some maintenance on my other aircraft? Or should I pull an all Weekender of nothing but Behemoth Mustang build? I will let @pawnshopmike talley the store. LOL I am not able to count past 1. Lol
It's still flying season so service the fleet brother.:way_to_go:

The big Stang will keep you busy when you're snowed in this winter. :big_yes:

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Do which ever you feel like at the moment. I know when I get in build mode everything else get's dropped, I've been in a don't build for so long I don't know if I still know how.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
When it warm enough and sunny out side I find it very difficult to build. But when the weather turns cold and I look outside and I would rather be inside warm and building.
So it depends if it is going to be a nice weekend go flying there will be plenty of time to build.