• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

I dont think they sell just the wing retainers... I know they sell the 6mm threaded nuts, which are near junk, honestly...

Best bet is to do a single anti rotation dowel pin, and then 2 bolts for retention to the fuse, much like the Dalton you fly. But if I recall, the Dalton uses 2 dowels. I never was a fan of just using 2 bolts/screws for retention and anti rotation.

I can show pics of my 35% Carden if any clarity is needed.

I went to Secraft wing nuts. Wings on my MX2 dont come loose again.

I just never understood the concept behind just using 2 retainers for retention and anti rotation.

Yes,, I have those on all of mine. Really like them. I was hoping i could just do two hard points in the root, but looks like it could be 4, that may be the easiest thing to do. Let me work on that then!
thank you!

You really only need 1 anti rotation pin.

If I remember correct, on both my Cardens, the anti rotation pin is just in foam, the balsa root supports the pin. I think the root cap went on prior to the sheeting, on both my Cardens.

Wing preparation:

1. place one wing on fuselage, and from opposite side, insert hot wire to enter the foam by 1 inch.

2. cut out the hard points for the wing root:
IMG_1086.JPG

3. place the hard point on wing root, and mark the circle, so that the center of the hard point is in line with the center of the pilot hole. once you mark it, then cut out this round hole in the foam, 1 inch deep., then glue in the hard point. Once cured, sand flush with the root surface.

IMG_1078.JPG
IMG_1079.JPG

4. the kit comes with one piece of balsa, 48" long, 1/4" thick, and 4" wide. this one piece has two holes in it. cannot miss it. it is the only one in the kit. from this one piece, you will make the two root caps. Important to strategically place the wing, with the phenolic in place, and mark out where you will cut it out. I forgot to mention, each phenolic is out out the 18", and then cap the end with balsa and CA glue, then sand flush. This has already been done.
IMG_1080.JPG

5. I then place this one piece on the wing and fuselage, to mark it out again:

IMG_1081.JPG

6. I will then check to see, if there is good contact between the fuselage, the root cap, and the wing foam, and there is! then, I cut it further, and trial test it:
IMG_1082.JPG

7. then again, back on the fuselage side:
IMG_1083.JPG

8. here is the other side:
IMG_1084.JPG
IMG_1085.JPG

9. on to the phenolic, and the wing tube support, and the spar extension:

IMG_1087.JPG

10. here is the end of the wing tube phenolic, there is a cut out in the foam, both top and bottom, with a perpendicular cut out and a parallel groove.
IMG_1088.JPG

11. the tube support goes here:
IMG_1089.JPG

12. then the extension
IMG_1090.JPG

IMG_1091.JPG

13. then I proceed to mark the excess:
IMG_1092.JPG
IMG_1093.JPG
IMG_1094.JPG

and now time to go to work!

be back this evening to do some more.