• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC Double Build, Carden Pro 124" Extra 300 40%

Ok, here is where we are now....

IMG_2189.JPG

you can now see how the tunnel area, there is improved clearance with the bottom area...
IMG_2190.JPG

Now, to figure out how to install the pipe mounts. Real PITA!!

I have quit for now!

Still more to do, but I need to walk away from it for a while. I am still having a hard time understanding how the pipe can be moved in and out. Seems impossible, once the mounts are installed, the stinger of the tuned pipes will have to way to clear the 2nd mount.

IMG_2193.JPG

I am not done yet, this next picture was taken with the motor mounts removed. Since taking this picture, I also cut out another hole on the bottom of the forward bottom deck...

IMG_2188.JPG
IMG_2186.JPG
IMG_2187.JPG

Ok, here is my next dilemma. I have looked all over Primo's thread, and I cannot see the solution. Anyone know??

IMG_2194.JPG
IMG_2202.JPG

How will there be a hard point for the bottom cowl ring?

Hi Cam,

Attached are some pictures showing how I added extensions to the shortened stingers (after cutting them back for installation purposes like you did). These can be added after the pipes are installed so the exhaust clears the belly pan of the plane. The aluminum tubes are very light and have an ID very close to the OD of the stingers. Anyway, the pictures might explain better what I'm trying to say.

Dean
Carden 43% Pipe Extensions (1).JPG
Carden 43% Pipe Extensions (2).JPG
Carden 43% Pipe Extensions (3).JPG
Carden 43% Pipe Extensions (4).JPG

I think it is working with grab and drop.

OK, here we are.
Yesterday, I was having some issues with installing the tuned pipe, and then understanding the F2 former and the cowl ring. But now all is good.

so here are the two mounts. Since this picture, I have also smoothed out the corners, so that it will fit snug into the foam. I have started to sheet the tunnel.
IMG_2209.JPG

so, F2, I first had to extend it down. Then, I calculated where the three 6-32 screws will be going thru. There are two screws for the bottom cowl (on each side), and one screw for the top cowl, which will go in from inside to the front. the plans call for placing 1/4" balsa in front of F2, but, as Dean had pointed out, if this is done, then with repeat cowl on and off, the balsa can get crushed.

this is the hard point for the middle screw..
IMG_2217.JPG

gives you an idea of where the two screws will be on the bottom cowl.
IMG_2215.JPG

this is the downward extension of F2, using plywood.
IMG_2214.JPG

once I glue on the deck, then I will sand this flush.
IMG_2213.JPG

this is location of the hard point in the bottom part.
IMG_2216.JPG

I have flipped the airplane, so up is up. this is after gluing on the bottom and middle hard point, and the 1/4" balsa.
IMG_2218.JPG

Here is the hard point and balsa on the top aspect.
IMG_2222.JPG

once this cures, then I will sand it flush.

Started to work on the cowl. These are Ohio Superstar threaded plastic. I still need to glue on the plywood donuts.

IMG_2220.JPG
IMG_2221.JPG

the orange are for 6-32 screws.

Attachments

• IMG_2219.JPG
    IMG_2219.JPG
    227.7 KB · Views: 219
More cowl pictures. Almost done with it. I still need to do the bottom hardwood to the bottom cowl piece. I am still pondering on how I will do this.

IMG_2228.JPG
IMG_2229.JPG
IMG_2227.JPG

here is the glue I used to adhere the wood to the cowl.

IMG_2230.JPG

More fun pictures. Lot's of busy work.

I have outlined where I believe I have to remove more wood from the F2 former area.
IMG_2225.JPG

IMG_2226.JPG

I started to sheet the tunnel. I will also sheet the top surface of the bottom front deck area. In order to help shield the foam from the pipe heat.

IMG_2223.JPG

IMG_2224.JPG