• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight 104 Extra 300

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Flew mine for the first time since April today... Took me a flight before I started feeling comfortable with it. By flight two I was feeling pretty good, such a great flying plane. I think the 104 and the 110 yak are a couple planes everyone needs to own at least once..
Sold my 104 a couple of weeks ago. Looking forward to the new 110.

Phil.Griffin

70cc twin V2
Yep! Rained real hard last night. Lets hope the weather men called it right for Sunday.

Phil...Is that the new Edge 540T 120cc your waiting for???

I'm really hoping for one of the newly redesigned EF 110" Yaks. The Extra I just sold didn't get flown very much. They're great planes, and I have no really good reason as to WHY, it just seemed to sit in my trailer the majority of the time. A buddy was looking for one RTF so it worked out well for us both. I'm hoping the Yaks are available shortly after the first of the year. Another alternative is the 37.5 Yak. I had one years ago. The good thing is, I'm going with a 150 so it'll fit in either frame.

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Got 4 good flights on the 104. End of last flight ended with a blown gear train on the left inboard aileron servo:concern:.
Never really got the chance to challenge the power of the Blue Bird 3114's with my new 14SG before. Looks like I need to put all four servos on their own channels so a better fine tune can be had. I had also swapped out the 2- 3114's for 2-2209's on the rudder and I really liked it. On the deck entry to HAKE was effortless. Made me look as if I new what I was doing lol. Still plenty of power (about 720oz torque) but a little faster response @ .10 transit time. The "double reinforced" carbon landing gearI made performed awesome! No more toe in/out twisting at the axels. With the nice weather change the DA 120 leaned a bit and it was very noticeable on hover pull outs. Still Authoritative but not ballistic as it had been. I also have been flying this plane WAY to tail heavy! (although very manageable in normal flight). Inverted harriers where difficult to manage because the tail wanted to drop down and cause the nose to go straight up in to a hover with just the slightest of down elevator input. Appling a little more power only worsened this condition. Batteries going to get moved all the way forward.
Snapshot 7 (9-14-2015 1-51 AM).png
0901151502-01.jpg
0901151503-00.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Now that I have been flying this plane more and more it has showed me how important it is to balance laterally as well.
Need to add about 2oz weight to the right wing tip. I have also noted that the plane has an exceptional glide slope when nose heavy. I want to keep it a little nose heavy but I want it to slow down more on landing so more adjusting required. Going with 360ozin servos on the ailerons and rudder is great and the faster transit time really is not noticed (.10 vice .14). Since these make for 720oz total for these surface's I think the previous 960oz total was over kill. I did keep the 480oz servos on the elevators. Going to try a Mejzlik 30 x 10 carbon on the DA 120 now that is broke-in and see if I can get the plane to slow down better in the air as well as on the ground.

hey guys i'm looking to purchase another cowl for our 104 extra. we have the red and white scheme. if anyone has one please let me know. i'm going to try out some stock mufflers on our da-120 and i would prefer not to make more cuts in our current cowl in case we switch back later. so a new cowl or one that is already cut for stock mufflers would be fine .

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I got four flights in today. The surging is still present but not as bad as yesterday. I'm flying a IMAC event this weekend so its going to have to do for now. Has anyone closed off the hole in the cowl in front of the carb? Would this possibly help?
I was wondering if you ever got your mid-range surge issue corrected with your DA 120 and exactly what you did to correct it? I have one that surges mid-range and you can only really fly it slow or fast. It is on an EF 104 Extra, two KS5 413 60 cans.