• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Extreme Flight 104 Extra 300

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Yipee........finished up the left wing outboard vertical servo bay this evening. Next up is to repair the broken rib and hole in the bottom of the wing that was damaged by the wheel pant.

X300 Left OB Servo Bay.jpg

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I'm ready to button up the left wing and noticed something unusual. I was getting ready to glue on a piece of sheeting that repairs the area damaged by the wheel pant. The double inboard hinges do not have a glue block in the interior of the wing to support them; neither does the next hinge. All the other hinges in the wing have an interior glue block for the hinge point to glue into. I checked the right wing and the two new wings that came with my Extra and they are all the same. Maybe they are just not required. To me it seems like the beveled trailing edge of the main wing doesn't provide enough bonding surface area for the hinges without the glue block.

Does anyone see any harm or can think of a reason not to install a glue block, especially for the inboard double hinge? It will be easy to do while I have the covering off the wing.

No Double Hinge Glue Block.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
That is your call. But I do not like that they have been omitted in those areas. Good to know Thanx!

I think I did get lots of epoxy in mine.

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
Made some decent progress on the left wing yesterday.

Repaired the hole in sheeting from the wheel pant
Drilled out the old hinges
Split the Aileron
I went ahead and added glue blocks for the first three inboard hinges

Repaired & Split.jpg

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
Now that your servo arms will be parallel with the control horns and you have split the aileron do you think the control horns will be fine in their stock state since the outboard horn is different than the inboard?

Capt.Roll

70cc twin V2
I'm only going to use the outboard servo at this point; you can see in the above picture that I've covered the inboard servo bay.

In the stock configuration I think the outboard control horn ball link position is different to account for the wing taper. This set of wings that I'm modifying will be flown strictly for IMAC. I'm hoping I will be able to use a 1 or 1.25 inch servo arm; 20-25 degrees of deflection at the servo travel end points will be more than enough throw. This would be my full rate position on the TX; hopefully I'll be able to set one or two lower rates on the TX.

The EF recommentation for a 1.5" arm is perfect for the horizontal servo position as at full throw the push rod is dead perpendicualar to the hinge line so you have full mechanical advantage. I'll setup my second set of wings without any mods. Maybe I can become a good enough pilot I could actually put together a freestyle routine...........LOL. I believe a 1" arm would put the mechanical setup in a weak position.

Last edited:

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I gotcha! You shooting for strictly a precision flight envelope. Pretty nifty there. So one wing bag labeled "precision" and the other "freestyle". Great idea.