• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

AKfreak

150cc
What a beautiful plane and Daniel is just incredible. EF is so lucky to have him on board. I have been flying my 64" MXS and it flys so nice, this 85" looks like it flys the same. I will say I have never seen a more sensitive plane with respect to trim. One click of up trim is the difference in level flight and climbing out fast enough to stall the plane with the throttle off.

I wonder what the setup is on the 85"

Here is an update from the Boss from the RCG thread.

"The big MXS was the star of the event for us. In its final form it spans 76 inches without tips and 85 inches with them. The earlier incarnation was just too floaty and not aggressive enough and the new wing has allowed it to perform just as we all would hope. I spoke with Ken at Motrolfly about a month ago and asked for a custom wind of his new 5335 to allow us to aggressively turn a 22x10 prop on the MXS. I can say without a doubt that this motor absolutely rocks the MXS!!! We are using a PT 22x10 carbon prop from Esprit Models and an older Castle ICE HV120 ESC and this setup works amazingly well. We ran 12S 5300 mah packs most of the week with no adverse effect on the model's performance and were rewarded with long flight times and a cool running power system. This may be the most power I've ever witnessed on a large electric model."

Can one of the admin's rename this thread either the 76" or 85" MXS thread?

gyro

GSN Contributor
Here is an update from the Boss from the RCG thread.

"The big MXS was the star of the event for us. In its final form it spans 76 inches without tips and 85 inches with them. The earlier incarnation was just too floaty and not aggressive enough and the new wing has allowed it to perform just as we all would hope. I spoke with Ken at Motrolfly about a month ago and asked for a custom wind of his new 5335 to allow us to aggressively turn a 22x10 prop on the MXS. I can say without a doubt that this motor absolutely rocks the MXS!!! We are using a PT 22x10 carbon prop from Esprit Models and an older Castle ICE HV120 ESC and this setup works amazingly well. We ran 12S 5300 mah packs most of the week with no adverse effect on the model's performance and were rewarded with long flight times and a cool running power system. This may be the most power I've ever witnessed on a large electric model."

Can one of the admin's rename this thread either the 76" or 85" MXS thread?

Done! Thanks for sharing the update with us here. I knew about the motor, but heard a rumor he was running some ZTWs out there also. Maybe in another plane.

Maybe this will become the 12S 5300 purpose built electric I was wishing for. My 12s 3300 system might have to just go in the new AJL or some other plane in the future.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Maybe this will become the 12S 5300 purpose built electric I was wishing for. My 12s 3300 system might have to just go in the new AJL or some other plane in the future.

Sounds like if it can handle the weight of the motrolfly 5335 and 2lbs + of batteries, a DA-50 would fit nicely as well... Just food for thought.

The DA-60 is actually lighter than the 50. Weight distribution would be a issue as with the electric you can locate the batteries more aft. For gas I would probably just do the VVRC-40 or a piped DA-35/DLE-35RA/EME-35/GT33.

I really want a large electric again, especially now that I will have the mobile charging getup.

If they are not on the water at this point, I am looking at June as the earliest I could even deal with the project so there is plenty of time for me to waffle some more.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The DA-60 is actually lighter than the 50. Weight distribution would be a issue as with the electric you can locate the batteries more aft. For gas I would probably just do the VVRC-40 or a piped DA-35/DLE-35RA/EME-35/GT33.

I really want a large electric again, especially now that I will have the mobile charging getup.

If they are not on the water at this point, I am looking at June as the earliest I could even deal with the project so there is plenty of time for me to waffle some more.

Wow, I didn't know that about the weight....

Learn something everyday!

I think a 21-22" prop is more appropriate for this size airframe. you would need to run a 3 blade on a DA-60 to get that small and that is loosing efficiency. This is a lot like people putting DA-85s into the EF 91" Extra.

I personally like the idea of getting 8-9 minutes out of a electric with all of those advantages with a canopy that is on a latch and a battery tray. Using the propengine I am seeing 289 watts per pound if the 195kv is correct.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I think a 21-22" prop is more appropriate for this size airframe. you would need to run a 3 blade on a DA-60 to get that small and that is loosing efficiency. This is a lot like people putting DA-85s into the EF 91" Extra.

I personally like the idea of getting 8-9 minutes out of a electric with all of those advantages with a canopy that is on a latch and a battery tray. Using the propengine I am seeing 289 watts per pound if the 195kv is correct.

It's a higher wind for the 22x10