• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight 76/83" MXS

The 60 is also more vibration too right?
Mine seems to vibrate a good bit more than I remember my last 50 vibrating, yes.
Of course, on the KS pipe with the Falcon 24x10 it's also hauling a 91" Extra around like something on RealFlight.
I couldn't imagine having that much power in a 76/85" MXS... and that setup might not last very long with me at the throttle.

I am thinking I'll be happy with the DA50, stock exhaust, and heck, I'm even goiing with a 3-blade prop 'just for looks'.
If it feels like a dog after a couple flights, I can always fit a pipe, or overpower two planes by swapping in the 60... and put my DA85 on the 91" :D
Sounds too much like work though. I'm betting this will haul the MXS well enough to suit me.

fiddy_biela.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I think a 21-22" prop is more appropriate for this size airframe. you would need to run a 3 blade on a DA-60 to get that small and that is loosing efficiency.
Yeah, but if you're overpowering the plane in the first place... do you really need the efficiency?
I'm betting a good piped 35-40 will be flying these planes just fine on a two blade.

The thing with the 35 is that no one knows anything. It has not been shown that I know of and only a few tidbits of RPM data from DA leaks. We assume quality from them, just like I assumed quality from OS for their 60. I suspect this plane will love a pipe as it will love speed.

I am still leaning towards the 12s 5300 setup EF was using. Be cheaper in the end from a 35, header and ES pipe.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Started thinking about this plane a while ago and stumbled across this thread.

My guess is that the MXS can handle a 23x9 Falcon CF since the 78 Extra can. Going with a DA50 or 60 on a stock muff is going to be fun on this plane, and my bet would be the DA50 will be a recommended engine for the plane once it hits the EF website. I've seen the BME58 on the Extra, and was considering the Revolution R-50, which is a 52cc and 5.7 HP rear exhaust engine from Canada. The BME is probably the lightest of the four engines, but another guess is that we're not going to have to worry about a 50cc gas engine on the nose of this plane.

The results of the static testing of the DM5335-189 with the 22x10E Mejzlik is 6870 to 7200 RPMs, 3800 to 4400 Watts (settle-in and peak) on 98 to 100 Amps and 28 pounds of thrust measured off the Rapala after a 30-second warm-up then 20 seconds at WOT. I think that Chris said he had the 195Kv from Ken. I've also heard the wind is anything from 192 to 200 so I'm not sure what it really is. I think you have the same motor, Gary. Either way, anything from 189 to 200 is going to be silly power on this plane if the empty weight is anything like the 78 Extra.

There are no reports of empty weight yet, which seems to always be something we never hear until someone with a scale buys one, so if anyone hears anythings, please post it.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Also, the Pitts muffler sold by Revolution for the R-50 is very quiet and no can is needed. There was one on the 50cc airframe I converted to a Q80 two years ago. It actually swung a 23x8 Lam Xoar to 6800 RPM hot, so it's one of the engines on my very short list. About the same price as a DA, so it's a tough decision for me if it ever comes down to that. If Chris offers a DA discount with the plane, that would be tough to pass up, if you're considering a gas version. But the 1004g all-up DM5335-189 with a 22x10E CF prop and 5 to 5.3 Ah is going to be hard for me to pass up since I go electric at every reasonable opportunity. We have 48 electrical outlets at our field, but going to events along the I-4 corridor definitely requires a gas setup.

Unless you equip your trailer with 3 deep cell batteries and a generator with a 24V 47A powersupply. I seem to be working through 2 of my 3 gripes with big electrics (strapping, and canopy bolts) and my new trailer getup solves the charging issue. I will see how my A60-8S working during Nall. I see this plane being my big electric for this season and something to take to SEFF or E-Nall if I ever do one of those events.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
This could be as big as I'll need to go from now on. Had some bigger project and ended up not flying them as much because of convenience. I get out more, and have more fun, when I can throw a plane in the SUV late in the afternoon, and drive to the field for two hours. The 78 Extra fits as good as anything else, and I can even fit a 74 with it.

The A60-8S data looks good and will spin the 21x10 on 12S about 440 RPMs faster than the A60-7S on 10S. That extra power at the top end should be a lot of fun considering that Tom is just fine with the 10S setup. Here's an uncut video of him flying my 10S setup for the first time last year after he trimmed and mixed it for me. Imagine another 400+ RPMs at the top end... the 78, and probably the 85 too, will definitely need a 10 pitch to generate the momentum it needs for decent tumbles and a little more rotation on spins. The pull out you'll see after 4 minutes of hard flying is where the added RPMs are going to make a difference.

[video=youtube;cRXHp0cwlJk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRXHp0cwlJk[/video]