• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

gyro

GSN Contributor
I frequently hang my gassers by their elevators on my office wall for weeks at time as I work on them. Most even have small amounts of fuel in the tank.
There is no smell.
(I use VP power mix)

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
I frequently hang my gassers by their elevators on my office wall for weeks at time as I work on them. Most even have small amounts of fuel in the tank.
There is no smell.
(I use VP power mix)

No kidding? i figured my place would smell like Citgo. Well, doesn't that open a new can of worms. Hey Mom! I'm getting a new piece of art for your room! I'm kidding…she doesn't live here. she lives in Kalamazoo

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
There is no smell.
(I use VP power mix)

Speaking of mixes (what's VP power mix? A premix? How much?). Some guys up here have been using 100 LL mixed with Coleman white gas to bring the octane down to about 90-93 then do a standard oil mix. Any thoughts. Maybe a separate thread- "fuel mixes"? I used high test w/ ethanol until I finished the season by running some pre mix ($12/ liter) through my engine to "run" the ethanol out.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
can you tell me the differences between the 60" and 78" Extras?

Here's a 2011 video I took of the Edge if you're blocked from the other one. I think Tom had the plane for about two weeks, if I remember correctly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t99lfb6oVSU

Transitioning from the 60 Edge EXP into a 78 Extra 300 will seem very natural, since the 78 is also a very stable airframe with a wide performance envelop. I think we got Tom the 78 right after going to a 50cc Extra 300 after the 60 Edge because it was so much easier to transport than the 50cc. Convenience means more flight time in this family. This video was taken on New Years 2012 and he got the plane for Christmas, so maybe a dozen flights on it by then, but still a lot of confidence really low and slow even though the plane shines at any speed or altitude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTFbtNbAqzU

Buick Mackane

70cc twin V2
NICE! Does Tom compete? He's really good. I really like the 78" Extra's color scheme. Thanks for your advice. The consensus tells me to get an Edge. I'm going to see if the 60" is in stock.

gyro

GSN Contributor
I wish EF made a 70-75" Edge-EXP that flew just like the 60"

It'd awesome to have the 60" edge flying envelope on a plane with DLE-30 20+ minute flight times!

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
NICE! Does Tom compete? He's really good. I really like the 78" Extra's color scheme. Thanks for your advice. The consensus tells me to get an Edge. I'm going to see if the 60" is in stock.

He competed a few times when he was 12 (just turned 18 a few weeks ago) and the first aerobatic planes he flew were all 126 inch Extra 300's, so I think that's where the confidence comes from. He finished second in his first Florida Youthmasters, and 5th in his first IMAC outing with a plane he never flew before (103 inch Godfrey Laser 200). But it's a tough gig to focus on competition when you're also focused on school. Tom will get his high school diploma in May along with a 2-year college degree (AA degree). Tough to do high school, college, and compete at a high level, at the same time. So instead, we do events along the I-4 corridor from Tampa Bay to Daytona, and have a lot of fun with a lot of great people. As a dad, this hobby has been a blessing. The only thing missing is for his skills to rubbed off on me. Hasn't happened yet.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
I wish EF made a 70-75" Edge-EXP that flew just like the 60"

It'd awesome to have the 60" edge flying envelope on a plane with DLE-30 20+ minute flight times!

I said the same thing on 'another' thread and Chris came back with "be careful what you wish for". Stay tuned.