• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!
  • Unless you are a paid advertiser NO more posting advertisement in the individual vendor forums. You may post in the Manufacturer's Announcements section only but only ONCE a month unless your a paid advertiser.

Extreme Flight Owners Thread

That is a good point. Most of my stuff 30cc and up has metal arms, but I did use Dubros on my 60 Laser with my BK servos. I have some good quality Savox arms that I should use instead.

Cbarnes

New to GSN!
Those two flights just happened to be with a 6S 40C 3300 Sky Lipo. Frank also has Glaciers and they seem to be just as good. Tom likes Sky's and we used to buy them exclusively, but it's tough to find them in stock all the time. He has some 5S 40C 5200 Revolectrix on his 78 Extra too, and all of these brands are batteries I would buy again. They are light, and come down cool, and as you can see, they are flown hard in Florida. The 30C don't seem to hold up as well.

I've used the glacier batteries on my 48" Yak and they seem to be a really good battery

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Decisions??? Just lost (well I know where it is, in a trash bag!) my 60" extra. Have a 78 extra for IMAC, 3D and XA, a 60" Laser for "crazy" and giggles. Lots of 6s, good torque 4016, Gecko 85 and CC 10A BEC. Looking to go something 91" ish this year also.
60" Edge or 64" MXS? I'm leaning Edge with a new set of 7245s to round out the group. What do you think? I do like to practice the IMAC wind correction in stiff wind with the 60s. The Laser w/o SFGs will do in a pinch.
Thanks guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

skibum44

70cc twin V2
I've owned all the 60" birds and would replace my extra in a heartbeat... That said the mxs and edge are sweet too. If I could have one of the two it would be edge, but the mxs tracks better, IMO.

Doc Austin

70cc twin V2
I will back up Doc on the arms. I was using the dubro arms on the elevator of an 80" sport plane. The arm moved on the output shaft making trimming near impossible. Forget adding a flap elevator mix. The servos I used with stock arms from the box are fine.

At least on the 5245MG the arms that come in the box are too short. I've been using Dubro arms and they were fine for years, but I think they changed their plastic or something.

Instead, I have switched to the Hi Tec PN55709 set. I first had experience with these when I was running HS985MG servos (they come with those arms). I had a spare in my junk box, so I tried it and the spline is the same.

I put 55709 on my new 60" Edge and they are staying good and snug, so for now I am really happy with them. I've also tried an SWB aluminum arm, which had a cinch bolt. The bolt squeezes down on the spline and takes out every bit of slop. They are a bit of a pain to get on or off, but the effort is worth it.

The 55708 snap on pretty snug, so I am going to stick with those unless they get sloppy to. At $10 a pop the SWB arms are nice but I can't afford to keep a whole bunch of them sitting around for spares like I can the 55709 which is $4 for an entire pack.

Right now I am restoring my 60" MXS, which I am very excited about. I sent the servos to Hi Tec for service and will have them Friday. After we shoot a video I will publish the article complete with set up photos of the plane with the 55709 arms and some more detail about the restoration. I really love that plane so I am pretty excited about getting this going.

Last edited by a moderator:

skibum44

70cc twin V2
No love for the Laser? It is my favorite, but I have not gotten a pull on the MXS to date though.

Totally it's by far my second favorite... You were just asking about the edge and MXS. And I mentioned the Extra because that is what you were replacing. Yeah the laser is a sweet bird and I plan on always having a Extra and laser around unless another 60" EXP comes around. Only room for two and the extra and laser are it right now.

Aeroplayin

70cc twin V2
Until I learn how to fly like my son in this video, I'd stick with the 60 Edge because it's the plane that gives me the best chance at it without putting it in the dirt as soon as I would the others.

Some guys call it a 3D trainer, but as far as I'm concerned, it is just more predictable for low and slow 3D. I can concentrate on maneuvers instead of worrying about the plane doing something I was not expecting, or exaggerating one of my many mistakes. I like the 64 MXS a lot for high speed, high energy, "pull and snap" maneuvers, which are easy to do, IMO, but for learning real throttle control down low, this is the plane.

[video=youtube;GOhSWJl6nRE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GOhSWJl6nRE[/video]