• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D "Extreme" makeover Terryscustom edition

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
LOL, you guy's are funny.      I did make some balsa scraps tonight in case you want those.
disillusionment.png

I edge-sanded all my sheeting and taped up some skins and shot them with a coat of "cheap n nasty" hairspray.

Just doodling on cad with some ideas for lightening my ailerons, root ribs carbon layout and a few other things.      Just maybe get to go flying a bit tomorrow but I'm going to try to get these in the vacuum before I go out for that.

image001-3.jpg

image002-3.jpg

thelaw

70cc twin V2
stangflyer said
I always enjoy your make overs... What does your wife think of them? Hee hee..... Looking forward to seeing another masterpiece.
fist-pump-and-yes-smiley-emoticon.gif
Makeovers can be cool!!  Can't wait to see the final result!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Ohio AV8TOR said
Terry how did you cut the wing tube holes?  
In post number 5, second pic you can see the templates in place and you can see part of the hotwire bow on the table.     This bow is made specifically for wing tube holes.    The wire is dropped in from the top and the hole is cut out

O

Ohio AV8TOR

Terryscustom said
Ohio AV8TOR said
Terry how did you cut the wing tube holes?  

In post number 5, second pic you can see the templates in place and you can see part of the hotwire bow on the table.     This bow is made specifically for wing tube holes.    The wire is dropped in from the top and the hole is cut out
Okay got it, thanks.  I did a lot of cut foam wings with tubes but I had access to a 5-axis router which made it easy to bore those holes.  So no timing tick marks just free had paying attention to quadrants then?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
No real magic with the holes I normally rough cut them out, remove the core and then go around the template again.     I have a pretty high end power supply for my wire so I can dial down to .01 amps so the wire just cuts and does not melt the crap out of things.          I also laser my templates a few thousandths undersized and fine tune the hold with the wing tube and sticky sandpaper.      Takes less glue when the tube hole is nice and snug.

I'm not going to this time but I'm considering doing my servo and control horn box holes with the CNC after sheeting.     But right now I have too many projects to mess with that.

Have some work to do and hope to get to sheeting later today.      This morning I lasered out a few goodies though.

- SFG's

- Servo Boxes

- Foam coring templates (for after sheeting)

- Redneck step drill

The drill is for making the hole larger in the fuse to fit the new wing tube sleeve.     I lasered the small step for a slip fit inside the existing sleeve and the large step for a few few thousandths under the new sleeve O.D. to allow for some slop while drilling.      First ring on large step has 100 grit sticky sandpaper stuck to it.

image001-4.jpg

image002-4.jpg

image003-3.jpg

image004-3.jpg

image005-3.jpg

image006-2.jpg

image007-2.jpg

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
We have Rembrant, Van Gogh, Picasso, de Vinci and we have TERRY.....
banana-dancing-with-mario-smiley-emoticon.gif
Damn fine artistry. 
nodding-yes-by-a-very-happy-smiley-emoticon.gif

Just out of curiousity... It's been some time since I really did any building...per sey, I've heard of the hairspray thing. Can't remember why.... Refresh my memory please?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
stangflyer said

Just out of curiousity... It's been some time since I really did any building...per sey, I've heard of the hairspray thing. Can't remember why.... Refresh my memory please?
On the inside of the sheeting it keeps the sheeting from soaking up excess resin / poly glue while spreading it.     I'll be doing resin and vacuum bagging so it allows you to use less resin.

Some people use it on the outside of the sheeting prior to final sanding but I've tried it and did not see any noticeable difference in covering adhesion.