• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D "Extreme" makeover Terryscustom edition

IMAC FANATIC

40% happier than most folks.
I didn't or don't notice any adhesion differences on using hairspray on exterior,  but the overall smoothness of the balsa after sanding to400 grit was quite better than without for sure.ots worth doing some test pieces with and without.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Terryscustom said
stangflyer said

Just out of curiousity... It's been some time since I really did any building...per sey, I've heard of the hairspray thing. Can't remember why.... Refresh my memory please?

On the inside of the sheeting it keeps the sheeting from soaking up excess resin / poly glue while spreading it.     I'll be doing resin and vacuum bagging so it allows you to use less resin.

Some people use it on the outside of the sheeting prior to final sanding but I've tried it and did not see any noticeable difference in covering adhesion.
Ah....ok.... I will have to remember this "IF" I ever decide to build another stick plane. Never know though. Been aching to build this Don Smith Mustang I purchased a couple of years ago. Just waiting for the right motor to come along....

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
stangflyer sais:  Ah....ok.... I will have to remember this "IF" I ever decide to build another stick plane. Never know though. Been aching to build this Don Smith Mustang I purchased a couple of years ago. Just waiting for the right motor to come along....

Stick building is so "yesterday".     CNC cut or laser cut kits are the way to go.       I like to build but I get board if things start to take too long and / or are tedious to assemble.      Laser / CNC and vacuum bagging is the way to go!

Speaking of vacuum bagging......I have a couple sets of wings in the vacuum tonight.      I will go into much more detail on the vacuum bagging, applying resin and other good stuff in my next Viper build.      I need to get these knocked out by next week.

image001-5.jpg

image002-5.jpg

image003-4.jpg

image004-4.jpg

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Not much time the last few days but I got the LE and TE wood glued on, made a huge pile of balsa fries and sanded the wings.      Hard points are ready to be glued in tomorrow and hoping to get roots and caps glued on as well.

image004-6.jpg

image001-7.jpg

Terry did you say you changed the airfoil shape from stock? If so what effect to you hope to achieve in flight charistics?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I kept the stock airfoil at the root but I changed the tip airfoil along with wing area will increase by about 150 squares as well as changed the wing placement slightly so I can put my batteries further back.

Changed airfoil is to increase the stall window at the wing tips for even more stability.