• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA 2014-0396- interpretation of new rule for Model Aircraft

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
It looks like the FAA finally posted those model aviation guidelines they've been talking about. Nothing too surprising there. In summary: "Follow AMA guidelines! Don't be a douche! Have fun!"

http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/model_aircraft_operators/?cid=TW224
as far as I can see the faa is the one full of douche bags! I really feel like they are over-reaching their authority! wasnt there a recent court case that esta lished precedent for models to be excluded from faa regulation?

njswede

150cc
Yes, and the lawyer representing the modeler is a friend of a friend. I will ask my friend to get his opinion on this.

dth7

Yes, and the lawyer representing the modeler is a friend of a friend. I will ask my friend to get his opinion on this.

What case is this? What's it about. It appears long range FPV and "commercial" operations are the two "reaches" here. The quad/ FPV "revolution" has unfortunately caused part of this scrutiny. The ease at which individuals can acquire stabilized "platforms" and not have ANY formal or informal training or even review of common sense operation is going to cause a slew of lawsuits and personal injury cases. I don't see a "check valve" for this in our free market society. It is up to the modeling community to self police the (often unknowing and uneducated, sometimes knowing and ignorant) "douchebags" the common sense necessary not to ruin the hobby/ sport.
To steal a phrase from TSA- "if you see something say something" to the operator to educate them. Anytime I hear someone is "jacked" about getting one of those quads or FPV platforms I direct them to the AMA. Response is often "the what?", "oh, I didn't know there were "rules" it just looks real cool". It's unfortunately the litigious society we live in gang.
Good luck to us! "If you're gonna play, play it safe."

bmschulman

New to GSN!
Hi. Yes, I'm here but haven't caught up with my reading. I think you are referring to my Pirker and EquiiSearch cases. I can't offer an legal interpretation here, but it does seem to preclude sponsored pilots and RC contests. The document is a notice of interpretation as opposed to the formal regulations that are scheduled to be proposed in the fall and implemented next year.

aronph

70cc twin V2
It also says "line of sight" and has for quite some time. Not sure how "out of sight" FPV was ever legal

dth7

The 3DRCForums -Discuss Anything Thread-

Hi. Yes, I'm here but haven't caught up with my reading. I think you are referring to my Pirker and EquiiSearch cases. I can't offer an legal interpretation here, but it does seem to preclude sponsored pilots and RC contests. The document is a notice of interpretation as opposed to the formal regulations that are scheduled to be proposed in the fall and implemented next year.

Here is the FAA memo. It IS a memo of Interpretation so now is your/ our time to COMMENT to FAA. That is why the process exists. By the letter of the memo FPV is prohibited under "line if sight". So, if you don't like it, say something.
Here's the link.
http://www.faa.gov/about/initiatives/uas/media/model_aircraft_spec_rule.pdf

Link to comment- http://www.regulations.gov

CONTINUED... Update-
I attempted to go to regulations.gov for e-comment and the docket has not been posted yet. They say it is scheduled to be registered tomorrow. I have asked Mr. Griffith (listed contact on the .pdf memo) to send me the best method, link and time for comment.
If you are opposed to this as I am just on principle (I don't use FPV) the best way to combat it is to play by the rules of the game to fight it. You can post on Forums ALL day and it won't do anything but get everyone's blood boiling.
ACT! When I get any info I will post back here. In the mean time you can check on regulations.gov yourselves.

Good luck!

He just returned my email (very quickly!)
"Mr. Hudson,

The interpretation will publish in the Federal Register tomorrow, at that time it will be available in the docket for comment. The document that publishes tomorrow will be identical to the document that was put on public display yesterday. So tomorrow you will be able to go to regulations.gov, search for the docket number, find the document and comment. In the meantime you can access the interpretation here: https://www.federalregister.gov/public-inspection

Sincerely,
Dean Griffith"
So there you have it. Comment tomorrow and have your voice heard.

Last edited by a moderator: