• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA 2014-0396- interpretation of new rule for Model Aircraft

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
I know this is something our club needs to discuss immediately. We being in Ohio have airports everywhere. So our club field falls in the 5 mile range of some local small airports. For now we are going to just keep flying until told otherwise.

njswede

150cc
Oh this is getting more interesting by the second. Apparently, the ruling affects Amazon's plans to use delivery drones and Amazon now enters the fray and challenges the FAA. :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

njswede

150cc
I know this is something our club needs to discuss immediately. We being in Ohio have airports everywhere. So our club field falls in the 5 mile range of some local small airports. For now we are going to just keep flying until told otherwise.

I wonder how "airport" is defined, BTW. One of my club has a small general aviation field without a control tower about 4 miles away. Does that constitute an airport in this context? What do the pros like [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] think?

The FAA usually designates Class E airspace to the ground within 5 miles of the airport so that airplanes have to conform with certain flying rules to transit the airspace. It has been a very long time since I had to teach airspace and my world consists of ATC controlled Class B, C, and A airspace most of the time I am not current on all the issues with RC and General Aviation. If you are in the pattern for the airport at 1000 feet, you really don't want to hit a 40% or a glider. Airplanes don't usually go below 500 feet unless near an airport runway, at least in the mainland US. Alaska is a different world.

3Daddict

70cc twin V2
I wonder how "airport" is defined, BTW. One of my club has a small general aviation field without a control tower about 4 miles away. Does that constitute an airport in this context? What do the pros like [MENTION=271]Enterprise[/MENTION] and [MENTION=3]GYRO[/MENTION] think?

That is what I am wondering also. we have several small privately owed airstrips around our field. I guess we will just have to wait and see if we get any phone calls.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Since i didn't see this actually posted just the links i thought it would be appropriate to post. Definitely a HOT topic that deserves our full attention!

model-aircraft-infographic.png

What Can I Do With My Model Aircraft?

Hobby/Recreational Flying

Having fun means flying safely! Hobby or recreational flying doesn't require FAA approval but you must follow safety guidelines. Any other use requires FAA authorization.
Avoid doing anything hazardous to other airplanes or people and property on the ground.

"Dos"

• Do fly a model aircraft/UAS at the local model aircraft club
  • Do take lessons and learn to fly safely
  • Do contact the airport or control tower when flying within 5 miles of the airport
  • Do fly a model aircraft for personal enjoyment
"Don'ts"

• Don't fly near manned aircraft
  • Don't fly beyond line of sight of the operator
  • Don't fly an aircraft weighing more than 55 lbs unless it's certified by an aeromodeling community-based organization
  • Don't fly contrary to your aeromodeling community-based safety guidelines
  • Don't fly model aircraft for payment or commercial purposes
Model Aircraft Operations Limits

According to the FAA Modernization and Reform Act of 2012 as (1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use; (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a community-based set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization; (3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization; (4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower…with prior notice of the operation; and (6) the aircraft is flown within visual line sight of the operator.

Last edited by a moderator:

gyro

GSN Contributor

Presence (or lack of) a control tower is NOT a determinative factor if it's classified as an airport or not.

One really good resource for locating airports around the country is located here:
http://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/flight_info/aeronav/digital_products/dafd/

Obviously I'm just a pilot and not an aviation lawyer, but my assumption would be that any place where manned aircraft operate from would be considered an airport in this context, with one caveat: when in use. That is the grey area I think.
If the field has hours from 8-4pm daily, I'd suspect that flying 1 mile away at 5pm without permission would be fine.

AKfreak

150cc
This is all going to change so much over the next 5 years. I would not worry about anything just yet. Just be respectful and follow AMA guidelines at AMA fields, and don't do stupid stuff that's is going to bring negative media attention to multirotors.

You see helis have had the abiltiy to do all sorts dumb stuff for years. It hasn't been until recently that companies have made flying a multirotor heli a skilless event that's cheap enough for just about any idiot with $50 bucks to get his feet wet.

Now these machines are in the hands of many who are absolutely clueless. They know nothing of safety or the danger these little machines pose go others. Hell a bird can bring down a jet, now lets fly a Lipo battery and a gopro into the clouds so we can post the video on YouTube.

As a pilot I know exactly where this is going. All of the multirotors (except the toy grade) are going to be taken away from the general public. Any of them that have the abilty to be used in a commercial capacity will be controlled in such a way to hold the operator responsible.

An example would be deeming them as experiential aircraft and subject them to FAA regs. This will drive the price up so high that the masses of uneducated morons that fly phantoms in the clouds for YouTube will be out of the game.

It will take time, but commercial use of multirotors is comming. Transponders, and FAA certifed GPS will be in these machines and they will be in use. Somthing that cost 10 grand now will be 100 grand but this tech is here to stay. It just won't be in the hands of a regular guy. Mark my words, toy multirotors are the olny thing people " in the Hobby" will have to play with.

There is so much risk allowing things to continue as they are. These are dangerous enough as they are, imagine if terrorist used these against the US in the same way we have used them against others. The US just won't allow that to happen. I give it five years or less until you see major changes with respect to multirotor/drones/uav/fpv piloted vechicles operating in the USA.

Last edited by a moderator:
One "good" thing that might come of this is that there will be another industry to support the costs of the ATS-B system and this might drive down costs for the General Aviation avionics which are ridiculous. If anyone thinks owning a RC jet, or a boat is expensive, try owning a airplane. Every repair is a thousand dollars it seems, and any upgrades are 10k at least.

AKfreak

150cc
FAA approved GPS that is certified for IFR is like 10 grand. One radio to do GPS approaches cost more than most peoples whole RC collection. Airplane stuff is ridiculous expensive and why I no longer own any planes. Hell the hangar fees alone ran me out of being a plane owner. I have built and flown the times off of 4 planes, divorce, and changing times make owning a plane out of reach for me. Since my aviation was not a commercial endeavor for me, tens of thousands of dollars every few months is just too much for my current life style to afford. It just gets worse and worse every year.

Aviation is for the rich, or students that will fly commercial planes for people with the big bucks. I see the new multirotor stuff being no different.