• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAA Announces their rules for radio controlled aircraft

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
for what it's worth, the AMA could have really gone after the money and tried to represent all of the commercial "drone" (multi-rotor and fixed wing) operators that are out there but they didn't. they actually barely got to keep the multi-rotor people because they waited so long to recognize the growing level of multi-rotor activity while other groups were trying to reel them in.
The fact that the FAA and Congress recognized the AMA's history of advocacy and safe operations left them as the default representation group and some multi-rotor users just fell into place as new members as the AMA started speaking the language.
I've been building/flying multi-rotors for a bit over five years now (my heart is still in fixed wing!) and in the first couple of years we saw almost nothing in Model Aviation even though the business was already booming! Places like quadrocopter.com and mikrokopter.us were already selling tons of hardware by November, 2010 bu the AMA was caught napping!
It would be helpful if the AMA would publish a statistic that demonstrates how many fixed wing people are actually now doing both, I don't think it's quite accurate to make the argument strictly one group or the other. There's a lot of mixing going on just like giants and foamies.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Giant Scale aircraft and Foamies......still aircraft. BLOS and Autonomous.......still a "drone". Point is nobody tried to decipher this to the proper people, AND they crushed this through way too fast without proper investigation and gathering of intelligence! Key word.....intelligence.

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
Not all planes allow inside the canopy...especially once built.

Here's the question. My plane...I'm registered. Can someone fly my plane or do I need them registered. What if it crashed.... My number is on the plane. What if I sell it and the number is inside a glued canopy.... Always there.

Or better yet....like all Govt programs, the database is hacked and someone uses my number for bad intentions?
Oh, I don't know for sure....... what would you do when the sky falls???

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
AMA members should have been automatically registered using their AMA numbers, just a common sense move. The problem with that is "common sense" is not that common, especially when dealing with a government agency.

I'm going to ask the AMA NOT to do that.

We have to fight this with every iota of resistance.

BJ Swope

I will say I "like" every ones posts here but these two sum it up and draw the line between liberty and freedom of the people.

Does any one really understand what "oppression" is ??? When government breaks it's own laws in the name of good then the government has failed to truly govern because they can no longer govern themselves. This is so so serious people. Our democratic society is crumbling to a shambles because government no longer values the Godly principles of law and order and use it (law and order) at free will at any level to "oppress" it's people. Educated and ignorant alike. The only advice I can give from my heart to my fellow Americans and hobbyist's is as Jesus Christ commanded......"Do as they say and tell you to do to the last law. Follow their order as they command but do not do as they do."

Flyin4fun

70cc twin V2
for what it's worth, the AMA could have really gone after the money and tried to represent all of the commercial "drone" (multi-rotor and fixed wing) operators that are out there but they didn't. they actually barely got to keep the multi-rotor people because they waited so long to recognize the growing level of multi-rotor activity while other groups were trying to reel them in.
The fact that the FAA and Congress recognized the AMA's history of advocacy and safe operations left them as the default representation group and some multi-rotor users just fell into place as new members as the AMA started speaking the language.
I've been building/flying multi-rotors for a bit over five years now (my heart is still in fixed wing!) and in the first couple of years we saw almost nothing in Model Aviation even though the business was already booming! Places like quadrocopter.com and mikrokopter.us were already selling tons of hardware by November, 2010 bu the AMA was caught napping!
It would be helpful if the AMA would publish a statistic that demonstrates how many fixed wing people are actually now doing both, I don't think it's quite accurate to make the argument strictly one group or the other. There's a lot of mixing going on just like giants and foamies.
Bart,
THis is really true. there are 50 members in our AMA chartered club, at least 12 do MR/FPV/AP as a hobby..... that is nearly 25 percent.

Status
Not open for further replies.