• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

3D Fibertech Hyperlite Slick 540 Build Thread

Spats

100cc
I'm still undecided on my motor, it will either be a DA100 or a DLE120. Post some pictures when you start setting the pipes up, I might like to put them on mine too.

I will have to weigh my fuse but I think i was just under 3lbs too.

I had planned on using one of my DA's but I'm a little concerned about the shaking thing. I decided this project deserves a new engine so I just got the GP and will put it in one of my planes for about 20 - 30 flights and start breaking it in.

Good to know we are close on the weight.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Yup, Lightweight spackling works perfect. Just fill it, smooth flat and let dry for several hours or overnight. It adds no weight. When I scratch build my 42% MX we hand hotwired the belly pan and most of the pumps and sags end up on the sides. Having it in the middle is actually very very nice the way Rick's machine cuts it. It also prevents the "bow" that you normally get on the side where the wire exits the foam. It's hard to describe but when the bow cuts in one pass the middle of the wire lags behind.....the way his does it allows the middle of the wire to catch up. So, other than a divot, the rest of the part is way better. Let's call it.....lesser of two evils.

Spats

100cc
OK totally makes sense now. That's a difficult maneuver to overcome I would guess when cutting the foam. It so small but I was just worried with the vacuum it would really pull the balsa down.

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Looks like mine was 2lb 6.5oz but mine was before the gear and engine box were updated on this last run.

Attachments

• image002 (4).jpg
    image002 (4).jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 206
  • image004.jpg
    image004.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 213

tylerzx9r

100cc
I'm sure it doesn't matter, but curios, how does the spackling absorb the resin when sheeted? does it carry through into the foam?

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
I didn't do any tests, but where it is at does not really matter much. I've used the spackling in other places and know that it absorbs liquid pretty well, but not sure about thicker resin. As a matter of fact after sheeting I cut out all but the last few inches out anyway:

Attachments

• image011.jpg
    image011.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 209
  • image010.jpg
    image010.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 197
  • image009 (1).jpg
    image009 (1).jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 282
  • image008 (4).jpg
    image008 (4).jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 275
  • image007.jpg
    image007.jpg
    118.9 KB · Views: 330
  • image006 (1).jpg
    image006 (1).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 355

Fibertech

70cc twin V2
Nope the resin won't absorb through the spackle to the foam. If it did you used to much resin to start with. The cured sparkle area should be as strong or stronger than the foam you are gluing to. In doing small shallow areas is not a problem but would not recommend doing half a wing.

Spats

100cc
The filler was easy and did the trick, Thank you for all the input. The belly pan is in the bag now! Probably won't get to much more done this week, I'm getting the trailer and planes ready to head up to Planebenders neighbor hood for and extended weekend of flying and raising hell. Oh and picking up the new GP 123 from him for the plane.

Bipenut, you will have to keep up the action here:)

tylerzx9r

100cc
Thanks for the response Terry, and Rick! I like the fact that not only as a recommendation, you both back it up with experience! This build is going well!