• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

First VPP F3P Freestyle Plane Build

AKfreak

150cc
Thanks for the kind words. I have around 40 hours total time ( I work on it off and on) I am down to final wiring (all soldered joints) and radio final programming. The AUW is around 140 grams with a 250 MAH 3S 40c packs.

Last edited by a moderator:

AKfreak

150cc
OK its finished her, I was able to shave a little weight from my initial guesstimate. I cut off all the servo plugs, and soldered in Magnetic Wire. Now I didnt go crazy trying to shave weight. I didnt remove the servo cases, or solder the Mag Wire to the circuit boards. I did however use as much Mag Wire as possible, and I know on any future F3P builds I will go all out.

If the wind would die down a little, I would try to fly this baby. Its kind of cool to see a plane that will back up on the floor. I cant wait to learn to fly these types of planes. Also I want to say that radio setup is a real pain in the neck. I don't fly heli's, so I am not familiar with pitch curves, and throttle cuts. Its going to be extremely tricky to learn to fly this plane. It flys like a plane, except it has a reverse pitch of the prop at the middle throttle position. That is to say if you drop the throttle to the bottom (off) you will be in 100% reverse thrust.

I have never built a plane with this kind of weight. 136 grams (AUW) is nothing (Edit 136 grams w/o battery). The Slights breeze will flip the plane over on to the ground. The little AXI motor I have installed is a beast. It has a ton of power, I am thinking of going to 2S instead fo 3S.

The list of components are as follows.

Air frame Fancy Foam MX3 (It's not as advertised (it's a long story)

Motor AXI 2203/40 VPP GOLD LINE Its a beast!

Servos: Dymond Servos D 47 S Fast on the Pitch, Elevator & Rudder. Hitech HS-5045HB on Aileron and Thrust Vector.

Thrust Vector Plate: Xtreme Foamies, http://www.freewebstore.org/XtremeFoamies/Mamo_Mount_TVRP_Thrust_Vectored/p186510_6113753.aspx

MAMO UPSIDE-DOWN VPP SYSTEM for the Reverse Pitching Propeller. Also from Xtreme Foamines

Here is the fianl AUW
14566557829_671fa3cfe5_c.jpg

And a quick overview of the entire build.
[video=youtube_share;oWS3AmNMTTo]http://youtu.be/oWS3AmNMTTo[/video]

Btw I know this is a 3D forum, but playing with these indoor F3P planes are a whole lot of fun, and these planes are actually 4D planes ;)P

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Ya who would have thought 4D would happen? Geez the tech just keeps getting better and better along with the unlimited craziness we can dream up!

pawnshopmike

Staff member
[MENTION=3014]AKfreak[/MENTION] Nice build thread bro. Came in pretty lightweight. And yes those VPP's are tough to dial in. Any video footage yet?

AKfreak

150cc
No vids yet, I don't want the people to see me fumbling along trying to get it dialed in. When I get a feel for it, I will make a video. hat is if I don't crash it first. I will say that thing floats like a feather. I mean I can throttle back and it just flys so slow, its cool.

alawson999

70cc twin V2
Have you flown it yet? Curious about your impressions on VPP

I built a METIS recently - went well - test flights were good - just hung it up until my indoor venue starts in the fall

AKfreak

150cc
Its way powerful. It takes a lit of time to get used to the throttle setup. It flys so easy, nice ans slow, but will get silly in an instance.