• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Getting gas motors running....

slowgto

30cc
ok, after fixing 3 motors for people this weekend I have a few tips to share with everyone.

1. Needles: Almost everything I have seen is 1.5 turns for both the high and low. Screw them all of the way in, and back both of them out 1.5 turns. START THERE regardless of what is was. I have seen stuff fly on 3 turns out and people claim they cant figure out the gargle. That being said its usually the low that needs to move and it ends up between 1 and 1.25.
2. Fuel: Always use fresh known good fuel... please!
3. Spark: Everything I have and and have worked on uses an NGK CM-6. Please go to your local auto parts warehouse and ask for a few of them. Be prepared to make up a story on how you need the spark plug for a 'top secret' flying project based on a delorian as they will clamor for 20 minutes on the 'little sparkplug.'
4. Spark: put the plug into the boot and ground it against the motor, spin it slowly by hand, do you see spark? If so then your problem is fuel related.
5. Fuel: How was the aircraft stored? With fuel in it? What fuel was used? DID IT RUN RECENTLY? If not rip the carb off and go though it really quick, it only takes 15 minutes and will save a bunch of headaches. Also see #1 check the needles when putting it all back together.

Anyway, that was my weekend. Making gas giant scale motors pur. I am no wizard but I have been abusing them and blowing them up for a while. Anyone want me to do a basic tuning tips thread?

I like the part about buying the plugs at an auto parts store and making up a story about what they are for. I have never bought CM-6 plugs w/o the counter person making a comment about their size. They almost always want to open a box to take a look. Sometimes I play with them then other times I just tell them the real story ..... they were designed for Honda generators and similar equipment.

Auto Zone still has these plugs for $2.99 and Advance Auto Parts will price match. I always buy in lots of 10 ea.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I like the part about buying the plugs at an auto parts store and making up a story about what they are for. I have never bought CM-6 plugs w/o the counter person making a comment about their size. They almost always want to open a box to take a look. Sometimes I play with them then other times I just tell them the real story ..... they were designed for Honda generators and similar equipment.

Auto Zone still has these plugs for $2.99 and Advance Auto Parts will price match. I always buy in lots of 10 ea.

I bought some at O'reillys. I told the parts guys I was tuning up my 08 Honda Fit. They thought I was serious. :lol2:

Wacobipe

100cc
ok, after fixing 3 motors for people this weekend I have a few tips to share with everyone.

1. Needles: Almost everything I have seen is 1.5 turns for both the high and low. Screw them all of the way in, and back both of them out 1.5 turns. START THERE regardless of what is was. I have seen stuff fly on 3 turns out and people claim they cant figure out the gargle. That being said its usually the low that needs to move and it ends up between 1 and 1.25.
2. Fuel: Always use fresh known good fuel... please!
3. Spark: Everything I have and and have worked on uses an NGK CM-6. Please go to your local auto parts warehouse and ask for a few of them. Be prepared to make up a story on how you need the spark plug for a 'top secret' flying project based on a delorian as they will clamor for 20 minutes on the 'little sparkplug.'
4. Spark: put the plug into the boot and ground it against the motor, spin it slowly by hand, do you see spark? If so then your problem is fuel related.
5. Fuel: How was the aircraft stored? With fuel in it? What fuel was used? DID IT RUN RECENTLY? If not rip the carb off and go though it really quick, it only takes 15 minutes and will save a bunch of headaches. Also see #1 check the needles when putting it all back together.

Anyway, that was my weekend. Making gas giant scale motors pur. I am no wizard but I have been abusing them and blowing them up for a while. Anyone want me to do a basic tuning tips thread?
Please do the basics tuning thread...I'm not bad at it...but I think I can learn a bit and almost nobody at the field seems to know how to do it!

Terryscustom

640cc Uber Pimp
Love it, "basic tuning and the pursuit tiny spark plugs". I normally order a box of them from O'reilly's but it is comical sometimes. Last time I got them they had to get out three of the largest plugs they had and take a picture with his cell phone. Guess he was pretty amazed.

I'll always help people get their engines going but the ones that are hard are the ones that fix things that are not broken right out of the box and then wonder why it's not running great. I find it the most difficult to try to talk new people into removing the little idle set screw and let the servo adjustment be your friend. Then once that is done you go into idle up switch and get the deer in the headlights look.

slowgto

30cc
Love it, "basic tuning and the pursuit tiny spark plugs". I normally order a box of them from O'reilly's but it is comical sometimes. Last time I got them they had to get out three of the largest plugs they had and take a picture with his cell phone. Guess he was pretty amazed.

I'll always help people get their engines going but the ones that are hard are the ones that fix things that are not broken right out of the box and then wonder why it's not running great. I find it the most difficult to try to talk new people into removing the little idle set screw and let the servo adjustment be your friend. Then once that is done you go into idle up switch and get the deer in the headlights look.

@Terryscustom chaning the thread title to: "basic tuning and the pursuit tiny spark plugs"