Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Grumman F8F Bearcat "Jerry Bates 1/5"

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by grumman-cats, Jan 5, 2019.

1. BalsaDust

BalsaDust Moderator

Wow. Just wow!

Jetpainter and pawnshopmike like this.
  2. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    This build of the F8F how big is if I am not mistaken it is about 70 inch wingspan with a 50cc engine.
    A while back I was looking at trying to find a F8F Bearcat but big enough to except a 250 radial but was not successful.

Jetpainter likes this.
  3. This is the 86" Bates bearcat. I'm debating on the dle 120 twin at this time. Should fit ok

Jetpainter and Snoopy1 like this.
  4. So this is the real fold hinge line.
    FB_IMG_1524345459641.jpg

Snoopy1 likes this.
  5. When i decided to tackle this little project I wanted to keep the expense as low as possible. I also am building a TF giant Corsair at the same time so I needed to save some money if I am doing this to both. The beacat hinge line is a little simpler to deal with so I've started this one 1st. Here are a couple of pics of the hinge line. My intent is to use standard servos for the operation and will all be accessible through the hing line. In the 1st photo, the wire that you see will actually be the locking pin. I also want to have a pin come up through the top of the wing to indicate lock engagement. Still developing but i have a plan. Then I need to figure out to connect the fold servo.
    P_20190106_132003.jpg . P_20190106_132020.jpg

6. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    86 inch WS that is a reasonably big warbird. It is a nice size and you can do some nice details to it. Like your folding wing that is interesting. Clearance in the bolt holes would be my biggest concern to keep alignment right and to make sure that the wing tip is tight and does not flop around. Nice build

grumman-cats and Jetpainter like this.
  7. Alky6

Alky6 150cc

I am in. Great stuff going on here!

Snoopy1, grumman-cats and Jetpainter like this.