• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help with making my own servo extension, question on the wire...

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Maxx Products Inc. or MPI sells a nice crimp tool and the male and female connector and housings. 22awg wire in various lengths. With 2.4 flat wire is non issue. Spiral if you like the look and handling. At almost 5 feet length 22awg is fine as far as current. Signal however on some older Futaba 2.4 receivers is 3 volts and coupled with the voltage drop from that long length my cause an issue on some servos analog or digital. That is one reason why I use the Power Expanders on big planes with long leads. It supplies a steady 5 volt signal that is buffered and filtered.
Have to agree.... Supplying your "required" voltage or amperage should not be a problem. I personally use 20awg in everything. I hate them pesky connectors. The more you can eliminate from the equation that is a potential risk, the better off you'll be.

for a large plane I always use 20 gauge wire. Straight style wiring and not spiral. You add quite a bit of extended length of wire when you twist the wire. Warm wires and warm connectors means resistance. That is a sign to step up and get bigger wire or connectors.

another question, what is your favorite or best way to keep extensions attached to tail servo leads, besides heat shrink and dental floss??