• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

gyro

GSN Contributor
So you want the prop to remain spinning even if the throttle is at the lowest position. It's for that reason, you need to use a throttle cut to shut things down when on the ground?

I guess I need to learn how to set up a throttle kill on my plane. With my gasser it was easy, I used the gear channel for the ignition (opti kill) so there was no curves or endpoint adjustment.

100% correct

AKfreak

150cc
I am using an 11x with XG11 firmware. As to the throttle on the gassed, I used my hi-tech servo progrrammer to set the servo to the center, then butterfly closed was the left setting, then WOT was the right setting. Next I used the travel adjustment to set idle.

I don't know any better so that's how I did it. I am.sure its wrong, but the thing runs good. A DA 50

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
We need a vid I think. Then we can say... looks normal... or wow that sux and needs to be fixed :)

AKfreak

150cc
Is your observation of the throttle response based on flight or ground testing?

Based on taxi tests. I can pin the throttle full and pull it back (quickly) without moving very much. If I did that with my MSX, it would be in the air. Maybe is just how bigger planes are. With all of my other electrics, things respond instantly.

gyro

GSN Contributor
Something isn't adding up, they just don't preform poorly. I've had just about every Gecko size made and the response is phenomenal.

Watch this video... One is the gecko 150hv and one is the 155. Throttle response is fine IMHO.

[video=youtube_share;RGIxc0jSC0w]http://youtu.be/RGIxc0jSC0w[/video]

Maybe you should go fly it and see how it is in the air... If it's still not working right take some video of the lag you're observing.

AKfreak

150cc
I will end up trying to fly it as soon as I get back from vaca. I really don't need to fly it to see that it just doesn't have the burst power as my mxs. Its just so obvious. Like I said, if I was to firewall the mxs and try to pull it back, it would take off like a rocket. The extra will move a few feet. I don't know of its the prop, I have a 16x8e falcon on the mxs, and the extra has the 20x8 XOAR