• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Help With Motor Timing and Poor Throttle Response (Gecko 120HV)

tobydogs

New to GSN!
i agree with you bloose,
can anyone share the basic details of how we go about updating firmware and will the program be mac compatible. i do have a windows 7 program on the mac but hesitate using it for fear of ease with which corruption enters pc's. also i hope the process doesn't require pulling the esc out even though thats no biggie.
i should be hearing from altitude hobbies soon as i left them an email sunday. certainly i can wait a few more days to assure a solid esc operation.

You need the programming box which is pretty cheap and well worth it. Hook the gecko up to the programming box, the programming box to the PC, then click the general button on the PC software screen followed by the update settings button and you'll be prompted for the file location of the new firmware, click it and it'll do the little progress bar thingy and its done.

tobydogs

New to GSN!
thanks gh,

i'm waiting on garret to return my email. on a rcg's forum he posted for anyone having these problems with the geckos to contact him. sadly i am a plug and play kind of builder. i never needed to use the pc on my castle ice's. castles cost more but work flawlessly with the eflite power motors.
i'm not real happy with the issues the geckos have been having since the beginning of this thread was march of 2014. i bought mine dec. 11th 2014....seems the software issues should have been red flagged by altitude and sales halted to secure the solution before shipping to new customers, before my having to search forums for info and arriving here looking for answers. if i had read this forum before purchasing the gecko, i would have bought the new castle talon 90amp esc to try out. its affordable and castle's are in my larger planes in the hanger.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
thanks gh,

i'm waiting on garret to return my email. on a rcg's forum he posted for anyone having these problems with the geckos to contact him. sadly i am a plug and play kind of builder. i never needed to use the pc on my castle ice's. castles cost more but work flawlessly with the eflite power motors.
i'm not real happy with the issues the geckos have been having since the beginning of this thread was march of 2014. i bought mine dec. 11th 2014....seems the software issues should have been red flagged by altitude and sales halted to secure the solution before shipping to new customers, before my having to search forums for info and arriving here looking for answers. if i had read this forum before purchasing the gecko, i would have bought the new castle talon 90amp esc to try out. its affordable and castle's are in my larger planes in the hanger.

I get what you are saying here and I understand your frustration. The only rebuttal I will offer is that Castle has had plenty of quality issues in the past. In fact, if I remember correctly, the rise in ZTW popularity was in response to issues people were facing with Castle products. Those issues lasted well over a year and it wasn't the first time Castle customers had been frustrated.

The bottom line is that these companies run into issues sometimes that are difficult for them to fix. When one is plagued with problems it seems someone else is hitting on all cylinders. I wonder when we will break the cycle??! This stuff will all sort out in time. Meanwhile, you can count on the forums to report what users are experiencing!

Rich B

50cc
Has anyone else received the ZTW Gecko Series 120A HV ESC OPTO that has an additional capacitor pack wired to it? I got mine a few days ago and wondered if this was something new as it is not pictured this way on the web?!?

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Has anyone else received the ZTW Gecko Series 120A HV ESC OPTO that has an additional capacitor pack wired to it? I got mine a few days ago and wondered if this was something new as it is not pictured this way on the web?!?

Not sure but maybe Garrett at [MENTION=52]AltitudeHobbies[/MENTION] would be able to chime in!

No one is more knowledgable then he on the product in my opinion! :)

Rich B

50cc
Hopefully he sees this and can fill us in.

This is the part I am talking about.

20150115_234043.jpg

Rich B

50cc
Thanks Garrett [MENTION=52]AltitudeHobbies[/MENTION] it will be interesting to find out what this has done for the ESC. Check your email... I sent you pictures of the motor mount (x-mount) we discussed on the phone yesterday.