• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

High Alpha Only!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveT.

100cc
You can't get the book right now(unless you want to pay double what it's worth and get it from amazon for like $50)

If you wait i heard that they are working on updating the book and re-releasing it. It will be a lot cheaper then and have more info :)

But it won't be autographed like mine is.... :D :D :D

SteveT

RotorJockey

70cc twin V2
What worked well for me was this:

Your quickest response is a muscle memory response and quick and precise is definitely what we want in a hover!

What we are basically trying to do is build muscle memory based on visual input, so the technique is actually very simple.

I always focus on the nose of my plane as it gives you cues for both pitch and yaw.

First fly alot of high-alpha harriers in all aizmuths including straight at you. your rudder and elevator inputs will be exactly the same but a little quicker and sometimes deeper in a hover.

If you're comfortable hovering belly out, allow the torque to bring the plane around to 90 degrees (belly right), if it's nice and stable, wiggle the rudder or elevator back and forth a few times as you bring in throttle to punch out. As you get more and more comfortable, hold a little right aileron to stop it and hold a 90 degree hover. When it feels the least bit uncomfortable, hit the throttle and punch out.

When you're comfortable with 90 degrees right, let the torque bring it to belly in and do the same thing, wiggle the rudder or elevator as you punch out and gradually over time you'll be able to hold it longer and longer.

After that work the 270 degree point (belly left) the same way.

This same system works equally well for elevator control.

Very subtle and unknown to you, when you wiggle the rudder back and forth, you see the aircraft's response with your eyes and the brain begins building the muscle memory. All it takes is repetition.

My point is that I couldn't tell you what control inputs I put in and when, but I can hover in all 4 aizmuths and control a torque roll.

It's all about programming muscle memory based on visual cues and memorizing little sayings isn't necessary when you understand that!

I've taught several folks to hover using this technique and it works well.

My 2 cents

Fred

Last edited by a moderator:
What worked well for me was this:

Your quickest response is a muscle memory response and quick and precise is definitely what we want in a hover!

What we are basically trying to do is build muscle memory based on visual input, so the technique is actually very simple.

I always focus on the nose of my plane as it gives you cues for both pitch and yaw.

First fly alot of high-alpha harriers in all aizmuths including straight at you. your rudder and elevator inputs will be exactly the same but a little quicker and sometimes deeper in a hover.

If you're comfortable hovering belly out, allow the torque to bring the plane around to 90 degrees (belly right), if it's nice and stable, wiggle the rudder or elevator back and forth a few times as you bring in throttle to punch out. As you get more and more comfortable, hold a little right aileron to stop it and hold a 90 degree hover. When it feels the least bit uncomfortable, hit the throttle and punch out.

When you're comfortable with 90 degrees right, let the torque bring it to belly in and do the same thing, wiggle the rudder or elevator as you punch out and gradually over time you'll be able to hold it longer and longer.

After that work the 270 degree point (belly left) the same way.

This same system works equally well for elevator control.

Very subtle and unknown to you, when you wiggle the rudder back and forth, you see the aircraft's response with your eyes and the brain begins building the muscle memory. All it takes is repetition.

My point is that I couldn't tell you what control inputs I put in and when, but I can hover in all 4 aizmuths and control a torque roll.

It's all about programming muscle memory based on visual cues and memorizing little sayings isn't necessary when you understand that!

I've taught several folks to hover using this technique and it works well.

My 2 cents

Fred

Niice !!!

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Hey guys I have a question about snap to hover. Evryone knows you bang both sticks to bottom left, but why can't you do it to the right? It looks terrible and it just flops. Quite confusing.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
This is my opinion on this RCAddict16 but I think I can find evidence to back it up if I get pressed on it ;)

You just need more practice to make it look good. I don't see why it wouldn't look fine rotating either direction but you are dealing with some different forces when going the other way. You will find this to be the case in almost everything due to the fact that your prop turns in only one direction. This force and the way it interacts with your plane is going to make things work differently going each direction. You will find it manifest itself in harrier rolls, vertical climbs, even just plain axial rolls to the right are going to be a tad different than they are to the left. You just have to practice and realize that it is going to be a bit different on the sticks to get the same crisp outcome when snapping to the right as you are accustomed to having from the left.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Hey guys I have a question about snap to hover. Evryone knows you bang both sticks to bottom left, but why can't you do it to the right? It looks terrible and it just flops. Quite confusing.

I am no expert here but I have tried it too with your same results and I am sure it is from a slow speed rolling left maneuver always benefits from the P-Factor of the engine and prop torque and it's helping it role over.

RCAddict16

70cc twin V2
Thanks AV8TOR. I figured it out. In a left rudder and aileron snap it gains benefit from the still-spinning prop, while right does not. You gain the same results as a power off left snap when you do a right snap at half throttle. This has the additional benefit of getting on the throttle faster and lessening the chance of having to bail out if you get too low.

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Sweet... glad you figured it out. Doing right harrier rolls takes more throttle as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.