• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Homemade downdraft sanding table

BalsaDust

You can have multiple gfi outlets toghether on one circuit as we do at times. The way we have done it before is in bathrooms where one circuit feeds multiple bathrooms. The trick is when coming off the first outlet to go to the next is to come of the line side of the first gfi. Doing this will allow one outlet to trip and not the other. We do this mainly so the homeowner doesnt have to go reset a gfi in a bathroom downstairs when they are upstairs. Works just the same as running a seperate circuit to each bathroom. I would agree that only one is needed in your case though if everything is right there. To be quite frank though I hate a gfi outlet. They are great an all and serve their purpose but once one trips a couple times it's never going to stop. Almost like it gets weak inside after tripping the first couple of times and it sucks because they are pretty pricey to replace.
Anyways those are my thoughts.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
That's probably the problem, the circuit comes off the first one on the load side. I'll swap the wires tomorrow and see if that fixes it. Like you said, 2 might be excessive, as one should protect the entire circuit. I just wanted them to match and I found some cool battleship gray GFIs that match the paint I am going to use on the cabinet. I wanted at least one GFI since the garage is not always dry from cars dripping on the floor.

BalsaDust

I understand. You should be able to find a standard receptacle in that gray color and look like a gfi but jsut a standard outlet. I belive they call them decor receptacles.

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I got to test the table today and get some pictures. I can sand at least a foot above it and it captures all of the sawdust! I can probably go higher, but there shouldn't be any need for that. I got the GFI outlets re-wired as @cbarnes0061 described and now they are both working correctly. Still having problems with the switch, but I think I got a bad switch and I'm just going to replace it with a new one. I do still need to paint it, but I think I'll wait for warmer weather and just use it as is on some of the woodworking projects I have waiting in the wings. Next up is a park bench that folds out into a picnic table for the wife!

10968415_903432173040959_2277114325968735144_n.jpg

10351005_903432256374284_1563931440674778554_n.jpg

1514622_903432366374273_184305034446435794_n.jpg

10959580_903432426374267_4186909334147282585_n.jpg

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
@cbarnes0061 , when I plug in the system with the switch off, the fan starts. If I switch off the fan (turn switch to on), it trips the breaker on my garage panel. If I leave it in the on position and plug it in, it trips the breaker immediately. The GFI outlets are fine now I after I rewired them how you told me BTW! Thanks!

3Dchief

70cc twin V2
I think if I was just going to sand light stuff like plane parts, I would have went with a pegboard top. Because I build wood kayaks and paddleboards, I wanted something that was sturdy enough to hold a 50 lb kayak without having to do a lot of reinforcing on the pegboard. Totally up to each builder and what they plan on using it for, there is really no downside to either method. I would worry about losing small plane parts through the slots on mine, but I will put a piece of toolbox drawer liner on top of the slats if I'm working on small stuff that could fall through.