• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Hostetler Cessna 336 Skymaster

It's looking really nice.. you are doing a bang up job. my shop is finished so I can get started on mine.. mine will take longer, I need to use the fuselage parts and cut new ones to build a mock up fuselage to design and fit a scale retract in there. this one will also be finished as a O2 birddog. put some ply and carbon in the door area, believe me you want the door there. and the bird will carry a lot more weight than you think. in my last one I used some this aluminum strap and small counter sunk bolts , it's going to feel heavy when you are finished. but will fly like a trainer.. I would still have mine, but was made a offer I could not turn down.. thumb-IMG_0059.jpg

Patto

70cc twin V2
Thanks Randy. I'm glad someone is still reading this boring Skymaster thread. I just read my first post and laughed when I read that I planned to be done in the Fall. Ha! Riiiiight....

I may someday retrofit some retracts. There's a guy on RCSB that did a great job fabricating his retracts. He also made a fiberglass fuse from scratch. A little beyond my skill level.

I probably will end up with a door. I'll just have to really beef up what's left of the side, which isn't much!

I just got back to Saudi Arabia to work and will be away from the shop for 6 weeks.. but glad I can get on the group over here. there is one out of china that was made for KMP that has a fiberglass fuselage that's the one in my pictures it was like 82" WS if I remember right.. I will have a mock up fuselage done after I get home . when I get the gear worked out . I had planed to use it as a plug and make a mold and lay up a couple. I worked as a part-time mold maker years ago so been there and done that.. had planed to build a few more of these.. love the way they look and fly and guys buy them up. this one will be # 3 for me. all my planes are electric.. even up to a 50cc I have.. got out of gas & glow many years back. if I saw a couple of twins over a couple of months go in after one engine quit. the start up is high but I have many packs that are years old and still going strong. plus easy to start..LOL.. no clean up and no starter gear needed. mine will have 120's front & back..are you going military or civilian when you get around to painting.??...my first one I glassed with 1/2 oz cloth and west system resin. pained with spray cans..

something else to think about when you build your elevator make it a split one and have each half has it's own servo. in case you lose one you will still have elevator control.

Patto

70cc twin V2
something else to think about when you build your elevator make it a split one and have each half has it's own servo. in case you lose one you will still have elevator control.

I've thought a lot about this. You're right that it could help if a servo fails, but I'm not sure how feasible it will be. I'll keep ya posted. Thanks for all the awesome pics!!!

I'm going to go with a sporty scheme. You'll see. No decisions made yet.

Patto

70cc twin V2
Hey I'm watching this as you say "boring" thread Patto! I love it! keep it up.

You and maybe two other people in the world!

My Skymaster project is on hold while I build a shed in the backyard. As soon as it is done, the Skymaster will get my attention again. The good news is that it will free up a lot of room in the garage for airplane-related items.

Bipenut53

150cc
Hummm well maybe more than two.... Ive been watching too!.... Nice work [MENTION=3711]Patto[/MENTION] I love to build and I always learn from other peoples builds..... Yours is one of the more interesting....