• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

I’m going out flying thread 2019

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
:yesss: it is Mike. There are 3 other local fields which I have flown at regularly but now I come out here exclusively. No club BS just come out and fly what you got.
Hard to keep BS out of clubs unless you keep membership numbers down really low and somehow scrutinize to the inth degree! I have found the dynamics of ONE member can change an entire club and can add a serious level of BS.

In the old days we use to call them "pot stirrers" because their agenda was to constantly stir up crap and cause hardship to everyone around them at some point. If they could not get one person to fall prey they would seek out another until they caused problems then they would move on to the next thing on their agenda list.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
Hard to keep BS out of clubs unless you keep membership numbers down really low and somehow scrutinize to the inth degree! I have found the dynamics of ONE member can change an entire club and can add a serious level of BS.

In the old days we use to call them "pot stirrers" because their agenda was to constantly stir up crap and cause hardship to everyone around them at some point. If they could not get one person to fall prey they would seek out another until they caused problems then they would move on to the next thing on their agenda list.

Every club I've even visited has had at least one of those guys. They aren't happy unless they make every one else just as miserable as they are. The better clubs just have fewer of those Debbie Downers.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Hate those people our club is really small and we need the funds to keep alive but we had one person join and all hell broke lose just a bad person, at the beginning of this season he was told him he was no longer welcome.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Hate those people our club is really small and we need the funds to keep alive but we had one person join and all hell broke lose just a bad person, at the beginning of this season he was told him he was no longer welcome.
That must have really been bad to have to approach him and tell him that.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
Every club I've even visited has had at least one of those guys. They aren't happy unless they make every one else just as miserable as they are. The better clubs just have fewer of those Debbie Downers.
You have probably also seen the club member that thinks he knows everything there is to know about everything, butts in to every conversation, and you could NEVER in a zillion years know as much as he does? I find that those folks are often stuck in the ice ages and mainly more concerned about keeping the ego shining bright for all to see. Oh the stories we could tell LOL

49dimes

Damn I'm hungry
I find it that a club environment sooner or later (mostly sooner it seems) spawns jealousy, idiocy and unwanted oversight. Some one "just has to" assert themselves to a level of "indignance" that make it impossible to enjoy yourself much less each other. I find that most of these "indignant" types want control over something they fear due to poor people, modeling and flight skills. They simply need to move on as @Snoopy1 described. Instigators suck :thumbsdown:.

AKNick

640cc Uber Pimp
I find it that a club environment sooner or later (mostly sooner it seems) spawns jealousy, idiocy and unwanted oversight. Some one "just has to" assert themselves to a level of "indignance" that make it impossible to enjoy yourself much less each other. I find that most of these "indignant" types want control over something they fear due to poor people, modeling and flight skills. They simply need to move on as @Snoopy1 described. Instigators suck :thumbsdown:.

+1000

I don't like it when people feel that rules need to be added and restrictions and mandates defined with a fine tooth comb... After we talk about serious things the club president or myself (vp) will make the effort to say "At the end of the day, all I want to do is have some fun and fly a model airplane or two."
Fun and Hospitality! We want to see people get into the hobby and help or watch them fly their model airplane. That's a part of being a community or club that cares about it's membership, and building each other up is the only way it will thrive. Especially in a small club!

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Our local now defunct club (350 members) had no meetings or any politics. The new club has meetings but at 2 years old I haven't heard of any know it alls or political issues. Maybe I'm not there enough.

Luchnia

70cc twin V2
I am a member at one club that is really small (under 15 members) and we deal with very little funds. We keep the membership low, but at times wished there were more members so we would have more money. It is my understanding that club has run for well over 30 years without hardly an issue one, yet in the last couple years has had some issues with a member.

It seems the minute you add members you add problems, which should not be the case, yet has been our recent experience. One of the last members that joined has been a total pain in the back side. One member even said he would prefer to simply pay more money and not get anyone else for fear of getting another pain in the arse and I am somewhat inclined to agree with him. :big-grin:

I am a member of another club that has around 50-70 members and has solid funds and it is a balancing act to keep things running smoothly at the larger club due to the different aspects of the membership. Seems there is always some "drama" going on. Reminds me of a bunch of teenagers that don't know how to get along.

The smaller club really has no rules, other than "do what is right and respect others" and no meetings other than talking things out at the field once in a while. They are there to fly and enjoy themselves. The larger club has rules and meetings and it takes a lot more to accomplish the tiniest of things. It has gotten better since some change in officers occurred some time back.