• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

FAQ I'm new to 3D... where do I start?

ghoffman

70cc twin V2
The 8FG sure is a great radio for the money, but mechanically, it is chintzy feeling. The case feels like the thing that comes with RealFlight sim. For $3K, the 18MZ should come with a CNC aluminum case, like a MacBook Pro does for $2K.

I don't think the DW Foamies are good for a beginner. They are made out of depron which snaps on a crash. Get a plane made out if EPP

a trainer is good for a beginner....

the Sensei is about the best trainer I have seen....

but once a person can fly around... the DW 40" Foamie is the best all around solution to learning 3D
maneuvers.... with dual rates or conditions... they can be as docile or aggressive as one wants...

Last edited by a moderator:

jmooreatcs

New to GSN!
As a bit of background, I’ve been flying for a few yrs now, currently fly a SebArt Angel S 30E and TH Edge 540. The Sebby is a blast to fly nice precise lines with. Point rolls and KE flight is almost like cheating with that plane! I mostly fly IMAC style patterns up and down the runway headings. The TH Edge has allowed me to venture into the 3D world and I can comfortably fly upright harriers, hovers, blenders and KE spins. I am looking to get into my first 3D balsa for next year’s flying season. I am interested in the EF 60” Edge or Extra and the 3DHS 57” Extra as a first balsa 3D plane. Thanks in advance for any comments concerning these 3 for someone comfortable with 3D with a flat foamy and looking to take it further along. Sounds like the Edge rates a bit above the Extra for 3D?

econpatric

70cc twin V2
If I could offer a single piece of advice to anyone starting out it would be: Buy the best equipment you can afford when it comes to a radio system and battery charger.

I started out with the DX6i and quickly found out that a 10 model memory goes quick! In addition, once I started to move into bigger airframes that required dual aileron and dual elevator I was in a real pickle! I have also realized as of late that only two programmable mixes in your radio really limits you for precision flight... Finally, I was running the DX6I on my simulator and the batteries ran low and the unit began beeping, I quickly ran it to the charger but the next time I went to power up my most recently programmed 450 helicopter all had been lost.

In regards to a charger, I bought one of those cheapie's and thought "this'll do" but I kept losing cells. Come to find out the unit was not properly balancing my batteries, in the end replacing the batteries and charger was twice as much as what I would have paid for a really nice charger in the first place!

These two things can really make or break ones experiences in this hobby.

gyro

GSN Contributor
As a bit of background, I’ve been flying for a few yrs now, currently fly a SebArt Angel S 30E and TH Edge 540. The Sebby is a blast to fly nice precise lines with. Point rolls and KE flight is almost like cheating with that plane! I mostly fly IMAC style patterns up and down the runway headings. The TH Edge has allowed me to venture into the 3D world and I can comfortably fly upright harriers, hovers, blenders and KE spins. I am looking to get into my first 3D balsa for next year’s flying season. I am interested in the EF 60” Edge or Extra and the 3DHS 57” Extra as a first balsa 3D plane. Thanks in advance for any comments concerning these 3 for someone comfortable with 3D with a flat foamy and looking to take it further along. Sounds like the Edge rates a bit above the Extra for 3D?

I've had all three of those planes, and they're all fantasic! The staight leading edge on the Edge wing (from root to tip) makes the wing stall uniformly, and as such, the Edge has an advantage in post stall flight, and it seems to tumble and spin a tiny bit more.
In the end, there all of similar size, power systems, and performance. Pick the one of the three that you like the looks of the most, and buy it. I'm relatively certain you won't be disappointed with any of the three you listed.

-G

dskuro95

100cc
I personally would get a Futaba 8FG. I absolutely love mine and wouldn't get any other radio other then 18mz(for a competition radio). You can get a 8fg with a receiver for about $275 used at the cheapest. I got lucky and got mine for $230 with a futaba 8 channel receiver. Anyway I would start out with a epp foamy as well. Twisted Hobbies Crack Yak 32" ones, extra slick, etc. The telink extra slick is sweet as well. After this I would get either a 47" Extra 300 SHP, 48" Edge 540T, or the 42" Slick.(In that order) I wouldn't get the 42" Slick first because it is a violent airframe. this is just my 2 cents on beginning 3D.

Bigbookfrank

New to GSN!
Agreed .... 32" - 34" EPP is the only way to go..... Improved my flying immediately and continues to do so. I don't use a simulator to learn tricks, I use my foamie. Almost impossible to destroy (well it will look destroyed but still be a great trainer for 3-D) I have a 3dhs 33" extra that has well over 400 flights on it and at least 100 crashes 20 -25 of them tore the foam pretty good. .... has a bottle of CA and a tube of welders on it, and replaced the aileron servo once already. The hinges have 3 different types of tape folding the the control surfaces on but it still is the best hovering plane I own! I let other people fly and crash it because it won't be killed! Best bang for the buck in RC! ... but yes dx6i minimum on the TX to learn 3-D .