• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Guys, don't forget about Brian Strachan's Performance Flight Tutorials, he even made one showing the basic IMAC sequence:
http://www.3drcforums.com/forumdisplay.php?146-Brian-s-Basic-and-IMAC-Flight-Instruction-Forum

Thanks for adding Gary. I hadn't seen that one yet. Linked with my vid on our FB page. Next time I have a caller with me we will do one up with more narration. I think folks who haven't seen any IMAC have questions about "the box" and airspace; altitude, how far away, etc. I know I did. Once you see a few flights it comes together. Judging seminars help a great deal too.
Brian's tutorial link- http://www.3drcforums.com/showthread.php?t=1709
The one above went to "30cc question"?

Last edited by a moderator:

dth7

Ok, before you dive into look at sequences. Here are two articles that really help and are a must. I study and read them both at least once or twice a month. Sorry about the one, the first page got stuck in the scanner.

View attachment 18818
View attachment 18819

IMAC will make you better at 3D. 3D won't make you better at IMAC. Keeping lines, changing input with wind. Starting, performing and completeing the maneuver in the box in the right places. All this helps. Yes 3D is crazy, but it smooths up the
3D flight and makes you realize how to keep it all in places and piece it together to make it GREAT!

Files didn't come through? Can you link them or the source please. Thanks
Strange, tapatalk thing again. I got them on the laptop. Nice review.

dth7

Quote Originally Posted by SnowDog View Post
..."I'd like to do better at IMAC but I'm not ready for contests."

SnowDog and anyone else. If you can get through the maneuvers in the sequence in a recognizable form and under control then you are ready to compete. You will learn much just by attending a contest. Let them know this is your first and you will get lots of help. Last year when I started to practice it took me a long time to memorize the sequences. This year I have the sequence nearly memorized after one practice session. You will get very comfortable with the the flow and rhythm the more you do it. So don't undersell your abilities.
Also, a nice little practice "stick" plane (a small model- I use a kids foam model glued to a dowel) for visualization is a good investment. It allows you to do an "aresti dance"- a method of rehearsing the flight before flying using the hand held model. Really important if you get into the "unknowns" in Sportsman and above categories where you receive the sequences the night prior with no practice flights. You fly one sequence per "unknown" round. Relax beginners- no "unknowns" in Basic!
When I do my next video I will have a caller, give a better shot of the sequence on paper, do a little more narration and will do this visualization prior to flying. We'll try to do it as if we were at a contest but add descriptions of each maneuver as we do them.

dth7

Setup for IMAC flying-
Spend some time on you plane to get the setup as close to perfect as you can. This will make your flying much easier. If you are having to "fight" the up and down lines rather than "fly" them due to a bad CG (falling out toward gear (nose heavy) or pulling in toward canopy (tail heavy) or not enough or too much offset (pulling left or right). The 45 up line, half roll at about 3/4 throttle CG check is a good one. I'm still learning how to do my setup in an efficient manner and much is written so I won't try to go into it all here. Just don't be satisfied with an airplane flying poorly and out of trim to fly precise, it's just to darn hard. I'll try to get Cody to put a good setup synopsis on this thread.

For a start set your rates low for these maneuvers. The high limit here can be determined by your ability to do a nice clean stall in prep for your spins. You will need to come as close as you can to show a clean "break" then initiate rudder/ spin. "Helping" the airplane into a stall and spin will cost points. If you are doing Sportsman or greater the elevator should provide enough for a snap roll.

3dNater

Darren thanks for all the great info. When I get my plane together in a couple of weeks I will try and get some imac practice in.