• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

IMAC learning and support using flight videos

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
Ok, I submit the following humble offering for your judgment (and ridicule ;))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HxC6dJ1m8M&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Nate, I particular enjoyed the ending!!! Lol

Good go at it. It is very difficult on the sim. I did like the close ups. Did you just hit a key each time?
So, couple things to get you on track. You want to draw straight, level lines between each maneuver. Your radii of the pulls and roll rates want to be consistent throughout the maneuvers. Looping maneuvers need to be round.
I keep my flying in close on the sim also just to see it. With the plane your base line wants to be higher. Closer to tree top or more. For that last maneuver, the spin, you need to plan ahead with the previous maneuver The Immelmann must be flown so your radius takes you high enough to leave room for the spin.
For a first try it was fine. Remember no 3D at competition unless you're in a freestyle. That was hard to get used to since it is often a stress reliever for me during practice! Also keep in mind that you are being scored from the time your caller states "in the box" til he/ she states "out of the box" so plan that call to avoid a lot of level flight that could have variations (point deductions).
Keep at it. I'd use the sim more for individual maneuvers or linking them with nice level transitions. When you fly outdoors practice setting a reasonable base line and then nice radii on the pulls.
Good work and thanks for putting up the video.
Even thou the maneuvers appear easy on paper it's harder than it looks to put them all together in a balanced accurate sequence isn't it?

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

Thanks for the input. Yes it is more difficult than it looks lol and I'm glad you liked the ending ;). You did lose me on a couple of terms you used in your critique. What do you mean by radii of the pulls and roll rate. Also, you talked about a base line. Is that like a consistent "bottom" or floor for each move? And on the spin at the end... was I basically doing it right? Just needed more altitude? Btw... I flew it through only once prior to recording... without more knowledge I didn't see the point of a lot of practice. I just put it upnas sort of a "this is where I'm at" kind of a deal. Again, thanks for your help.

I agee realflight is not ideal or realistic but it helps new pilots to get feedback on a very basic conceptual level IMO.

dth7

Thanks for the input. Yes it is more difficult than it looks lol and I'm glad you liked the ending ;). You did lose me on a couple of terms you used in your critique. What do you mean by radii of the pulls and roll rate. Also, you talked about a base line. Is that like a consistent "bottom" or floor for each move? And on the spin at the end... was I basically doing it right? Just needed more altitude? Btw... I flew it through only once prior to recording... without more knowledge I didn't see the point of a lot of practice. I just put it upnas sort of a "this is where I'm at" kind of a deal. Again, thanks for your help.

I agee realflight is not ideal or realistic but it helps new pilots to get feedback on a very basic conceptual level IMO.

On the sim point, yes.

Terms- yes on the baseline, your "hard deck" so to speak. It doesn't always have to be the same but when you pull out of a down line it must be to level, draw a horizontal line then the next. Pretty much like the aresti is drawn. Radii are your pulls- loops= round, humpty bump - pull to vertical smoothly, over the top with the same radius of pull to down line then another pull to horizontal with the same radius. Roll rates, when you have to roll more than once in a maneuver you shouldn't roll fast on one and slow on another, be consistent.
Take a look at Brian's tutorial and my video and watch the transitions and the pulls. Not perfect but you will see what I mean. Also check out the judging info on the iMac site. A judging seminar is really helpful for the flying. That's where all this stuff is defined, in the rules. Hope that answers your questions.
Your interest alone is going to help you put together more fluid flights combining 3D, extreme and classic maneuvers.
Oh, the spin. Lots of talk about spins and snaps at judging seminars. With the modern Acro and 3D airframes a true full stall is hard to come by since they are designed NOT to stall and fly high alpha. So, its a tough maneuver to get a symmetrical stall (nose drop with wings level) then inducing "auto rotation" with rudder. Your spin turned into a spiral. With the 3D planes you often have to "help" the spin with some aileron but not enough to be "rolling". The tail should be rotating in a cone shape for a true spin (auto rotation). It takes patience and familiarity with how your plane stalls to do well. The sim is particularly NOT suited for spins. Practice stalls and spins with your plane so you know how and when the wing stalls and you can feed in rudder and/ or any needed aileron. A good caller can help you from rushing this entry (common mistake that results in a 0 on the spin). I was lucky having Cody calling for me!
On my next video I'll do some stalls and spin entries a little lower so you can see what I'm talking about. Or, perhaps someone else has some good video to share of stalls and spins.
iMac pro app has some great vids (2013 now but 2014 will be up shortly). They are great because they show the aresti right on the video.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dNater

Thanks again for the info. Ill have a certain green aerobeez yak rdy to fly in a few weeks. I just got word from Gary that it shipped today via greyhound. Right now I have an all too familiar 3d pilot problem... I ran out of airplanes lol. After months of no problems I lost both my slicks (70" and 51") so I am excited to have another 30 cc plane in the hangar!

dth7

Thanks again for the info. Ill have a certain green aerobeez yak rdy to fly in a few weeks. I just got word from Gary that it shipped today via greyhound. Right now I have an all too familiar 3d pilot problem... I ran out of airplanes lol. After months of no problems I lost both my slicks (70" and 51") so I am excited to have another 30 cc plane in the hangar!

Empty hangar oh no! That Yak should be nice. I have a friend who scratch built an SU 26 that he will hopefully fly in basic. He has an SU 29 coming off the bench also, both 30-35cc. I said they would be a great addition. Not many scratch builds out there these days.

3dNater

Empty hangar oh no! That Yak should be nice. I have a friend who scratch built an SU 26 that he will hopefully fly in basic. He has an SU 29 coming off the bench also, both 30-35cc. I said they would be a great addition. Not many scratch builds out there these days.

Ya it has been a little tough not having anything to fly but there are many worse things in life that could happen. It has probably been good for me timing wise since I am just starting my accounting career. God works in mysterious ways ;)

cardenflyer

70cc twin V2
Thanks, I have 4.5 now. But as usually after a few years the computer craps out. Just don't make anything to last. Looking at a new laptop, and then getting a cord to hook up to the living room tv. But was thinking about Upgrading Sims too.