• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Joe Nall 2015 registration is now open!!! Who's going?

That depends on what you call "best". If you actually want to fly, the first weekend is the best. The 3D line is uncontrolled chaos after 10am on the weekdays. Great to watch, but not to fly in. I have never seen testoterone in this hobby like sports, except during this time. The electric line is much more civilized. It is RC Disneyland.

AKfreak

150cc
I ask because I want to go, but I cant stay all week. Its my first time going, and I want to see all the cool stuff, and I want to fly a little, but I dont want to fell lie a peon among a bunch of M. Jordan types you know.

vegasking

70cc twin V2
I was there from day one this year and you do not have to be a team pilot to feel comfortable there. It does pick up it's pace as the days go on, but there is plenty of time to fly and some days you may have to wait in line for 15-20 to fly and other times you can pull your plane right out to an empty pilots station. Joe Nall is for everyone and every skill level. There is no reason to at all feel intimidated by others there because it is the one of the few places where almost everyone is there to have fun without all the drama.

I have to disagree on the drama. All the sponsored "kids" doing rollers against the flow of traffic trying to create a midair is not what I call fun flying. Everytime I tried to fly after the morning was no fun to me on the 3D line. Pat Hartness came down to talk to us about the chaos and they kept flying random direction down on the runway and all I did was get blank looks when I would go talk to the spotters.

The main line is heavily regulated, while the 3D line is a free for all with basically no oversight. I know of at least one sponsored guy that just went up to the main line to fly as it was more enjoyable, despite having to follow the pattern.

All the other lines are very nice and fun. The 3D line would be so much better if someone would just get on to people for not flying across the runway the same direction. I go to a lot of events (not as many as VegasKing though) and fly with 3-4 people a lot, so it is not that.

If you want to see it as a event like Oshkosh, then Wednesday-Friday is the best with noon demos and all the vendors setup. If you want to fly, then earlier in the week is better.

Personally at the moment I am thinking of just flying in Wednesday AM and staying in a hotel in Spartanberg for a few nights and just watching mainly. Spending my travel money on SEFF this year instead.

gyro

GSN Contributor
The great 3D line smoke out of 2013... No other word than "drama" to describe it from what I've heard; and the drama was from both sides.

[video=youtube_share;1OLUJQTGMXo]http://youtu.be/1OLUJQTGMXo[/video]

AKfreak

150cc
The great 3D line smoke out of 2013... No other word than "drama" to describe it from what I've heard; and the drama was from both sides.

[video=youtube_share;1OLUJQTGMXo]http://youtu.be/1OLUJQTGMXo[/video]

I would be so pissed if a guy smoked out the line like that when I was up. A guy yelled Landing, Landing ....and he never left the space. Yeah I might not fit in at Nall.

Last edited by a moderator:

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
There was a lot more to the story when this happened in 2013!

Yup! If you judge him just by the video he looks like a jerk but like vegasking said their is a lot more to the story of the infamous 2013 Joe Nall smoke out! Lol