• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Sport JTEC RADIOWAVE 26% Pitts Model 12

WMcNabb

150cc
Agree with you on the round wing tips. Those are from the plans built version.

Photo below courtesy of a full scale Model 12 builder. These are the wing tips I referred to above as "Thor" and my personal favorite.

image.jpeg

Last edited:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Very discouraged with the Jtec/Radiowave Pitts today. I've accomplished nothing today as I've been trying to decide what my next move needs to be. At this point, the manual is basically useless. At this point I am supposed to be installing the hardwood blocks that tie the outer wing panels to the center section. The blocks are of wrong configuration and the slots in the ribs are not the correct size for fitment of the blocks. I will have to dream up something that will work. I may have to take the right top wing panel off the jug...again, to open up the slots to accommodate a mounting block. Then design one that spans the correct length between ribs TR5 and TR6.

While looking at the ribs of the wing, it reminded me I need to put the control horn block in as I did the lower wings between ribs BR7 and BR8. However still unsure where they are to be placed. To give the correct support to the top aileron, the blocks should probably be between ribs TR8 and TR9.

Also while on the subject of ribs, there is no mention in the manual, provisions for material or instruction of how to mount the aileron servo's on any of the four aileron servo's. Granted, although they do not fit any of the bays, there is four light ply servo plates supplied, however nothing to go with them. Along with that, if the servo plates are intended to be screwed into rails or something similar, (which is fine and have done that)...problem is, typically rails are attached to a rib or structure that will bear the torque of servo's. Typically ribs or servo mounting structure has a strengthener or ply doublers.

Again, I realize that some kits are designed in such a way to offer the builder the opportunity to build certain things his own way. However that being said, generally there is concise information indicating optons or suggested materials that need to be purchased in order to complete the kit. At times like this, it causes me to have the belief that a beginner hobbist or builder should probably not attempt such an endeavour.

So back to the drawing board to figure out how to address these issues. At the very minimum, it would have been nice to have rib doublers in which to attach the servo rails to.

Last edited:

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
Very discouraged with the Jtec/Radiowave Pitts today. I've accomplished nothing today as I've been trying to decide what my next move needs to be. At this point, the manual is basically useless. At this point I am supposed to be installing the hardwood blocks that tie the outer wing panels to the center section. The blocks are of wrong configuration and the slots in the ribs are not the correct size for fitment of the blocks. I will have to dream up something that will work. I may have to take the right top wing panel off the jug...again, to open up the slots to accommodate a mounting block. Then design one that spans the correct length between ribs TR5 and TR6.

While looking at the ribs of the wing, it reminded me I need to put the control horn block in as I did the lower wings between ribs BR7 and BR8. However still unsure where they are to be placed. To give the correct support to the top aileron, the blocks should probably be between ribs TR8 and TR9.

Also while on the subject of ribs, there is no mention in the manual, provisions for material or instruction of how to mount the aileron servo's on any of the four aileron servo's. Granted, four light ply servo plates are supplied, however nothing to go with them. Along with that, if the servo plates are intended to be screwed into rails or something similar, (which is fine and have done that)...problem is, typically rails are attached to a rib or structure that will bear the torque of servo's. Typically ribs or servo mounting structure has a strengthener or ply doublers.

Again, I realize that some kits are designed in such a way to offer the builder the opportunity to build certain things his own way. However that being said, generally there is concise information indicating optons or suggested materials that need to be purchased in order to complete the kit. At times like this, it causes me to have the belief that a beginner hobbist or builder should probably not attempt such an endeavour.

So back to the drawing board to figure out how to address these issues. At the very minimum, it would have been nice to have rib doublers in which to attach the servo rails to.

Looks like you had a long day and @Jetpainter will me to rebuilding the Decathlon just did a cg check and found the plane to be quite tail heavy and did not change anything just replaced old stuff with new and for some reason check the plane weight and I have gained 1/2 lb ??????? Smaller gas tank changed over to IBec, you go figure.

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
Sounds like a frustrating day. I had one of those today at the field.
Uh oh...!! What happened?

Looks like you had a long day and @Jetpainter will me to rebuilding the Decathlon just did a cg check and found the plane to be quite tail heavy and did not change anything just replaced old stuff with new and for some reason check the plane weight and I have gained 1/2 lb ??????? Smaller gas tank changed over to IBec, you go figure.
Definitely an odd scenerio! My big Yak never changed one ounce from before the accident to the time I rebuilt it. "Without" all that heavy wood and paint. Frustrating huh??!!

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I smoked the ESC on my little pylon racer.:( About 10 seconds into the first flight. Then instead of the 8MPH wind we were supposed to have it was 18 according to our weather station at the field, so I only flew my Edge twice.
Dang, that just sucks. And "BLOWS"! :laughing:
At least you got to fly. Cold, rainy and gloomy here. Looks like I won't get no flights in for awhile.

Bipeguy03

150cc
Yup...those be the ones. (Second photo) I first considered the wingtips like the one in this photo.

I like the Round wingtips, they just say "Pitts" but to be completely honest on the M12's I like the half round ones.

Here's the full scale I kinda copied for my 35% Trueworthy.

Pitts M-12.jpg

And my finished 35%,

13051545_999566900080448_3669685744517912913_n.jpg

Building has it's headaches, I find myself quite often just needing to walk away from a project and go bowling for an evening every now and then. Helps to come back with a clear head, a lot of times the solution to a problem will come to you almost immediately after you take a break.

You may be having some issues, but from what I see in the pictures you are doing one H*LL of a job, and definitely looks like your on the path to have a damn nice airplane!

You'll get it! :way_to_go:

stangflyer

I like 'em "BIG"!
I like the Round wingtips, they just say "Pitts" but to be completely honest on the M12's I like the half round ones.

Here's the full scale I kinda copied for my 35% Trueworthy.

View attachment 90796

And my finished 35%,

View attachment 90797

Building has it's headaches, I find myself quite often just needing to walk away from a project and go bowling for an evening every now and then. Helps to come back with a clear head, a lot of times the solution to a problem will come to you almost immediately after you take a break.

You may be having some issues, but from what I see in the pictures you are doing one H*LL of a job, and definitely looks like your on the path to have a damn nice airplane!

You'll get it! :way_to_go:
Holy chit man...that is one awesome 35 center. I think I am in love. I see what you mean about the wingtips. But I really do like the half rounds. I really hope this little guy looks as sweet and "crisp" as your larger one.

Thank you for the vote of confidence and for your comment. I do absolutely agree with you about taking a break. I must be a gluten for punishment, because after I ran off to the store for a Pepsi, I took a minute to look back over the issues I was having. Ah ha! I can fix this. I started by taking some 1/8" light ply strips and laminated them to make 1/4" plates. These plates, or strips would be my new bolt down blocks. After opening up the slots in the ribs to accommodate the ply plates, I slid them into position so they came flush with the TR4 rib. Then sliding the original center section bolt down plates into position, (which by the way were the ones that were intended for the wing halves) They overlapped perfectly.
20161030_153313.jpg

20161030_163338.jpg

Next I used the 6/32 blind nut to use as a guide for spacing the hole that I drilled through the two bolt down blocks. (Leading edge and trailing edge of wing). Once I had a small divot started, I removed the blind nut and finished the holes.
20161030_163426.jpg
20161030_163442.jpg
20161030_163749.jpg

After that, it was pretty much all down hill. I tack glued the blocks into position long enough to make sure the two sections fit correctly and would slide apart and back together with no issues. After I was sure the TR4 rib of the center section and TR5 rib of the wing matched perfectly, I epoxied the blocks into place and installed the blind nuts.
20161030_174055.jpg

Time to slide the two together for a dry fit. WOW!!!! They slide together and "snapped" into place like a boss. Actually very pleased with the snug and precise fit of the two sections.
20161030_173908.jpg

I also addressed the trailing edge of the center section. The way it is designed to be built, sheeting goes on the bottom of the center section, then flipped over and sheeting on the top. With both top and bottom sheeting coming together at the trailing edge. I didn't feel this would be a good idea especially since the curvature of the trailing edge in the center will be sanded to an "arched" shape. It was a suggestion from Brett, @Wacobipe to add some structure in that area so that there is something more to sand and give the proper arch and shape. I used 1/4" square balsa. That worked really slick. Now I will be able to sand not only the arch without the sheeting separating, but will also be able to give the trailing edge of the sheeting a nice constant edge like the rest of the wing.
20161030_112843.jpg

I got a head of myself and sheeted the center section. It should have been done "AFTER" I set the section on the cabane struts and drilled the bolt down plates for the center section. Oh well, I will deal with it. Not that big of an issue, I'll get it. I do have to admit, the wing is really taking shape and looks, (and fits) very nice.
20161030_210904.jpg
20161030_210918.jpg

Just a little basic sanding to get an idea of how she is going to look. Like the rest of the wings, fuse and tail feathers...everything will get a final "sanding" and "shaping" once the construction is complete and I am ready to cover.

As a side note, I have decided my servos will indeed go between TR9 and TR10. With the servo arms pointing 90 degrees towards the fuse. I will duplicate those ribs from the left upper wing before it is assembled. Making two each of those ribs. I will then epoxy them against the perspective ribs as doublers, add servo rails, narrow the servo plate and bolt it to the rails. As for the bottom wing, I may have to do something different since both wings are now built and I have no ribs to duplicate. Building the upper left wing will go quick now since I have a direction.

I really am looking forward to having this completed. I've never had a Bipe before. But having another "round" plane in the Epley hangar sound very appealing to me.

Last edited: