• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Katana 50 from Hangar nine set up

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Hi Everyone I am a newbie here to 3d plane flying. I have a Katana 50 from Hangar nine and I need to know how to deal with the two servos on the elevator of the plane. I have a Spectrum dx7s transmitter. Is this plane designed to use mixing on the elevator? If so how do i set that up. Also some help on the rates both high and low for control surface throws. I would imagine the 3d flight mode would be full extent of the throws. Low rates is the one I'm concerned about. I want to make sure I have enough control throw to fly it, and not so much throw that it is super sensitive. Expo rates for each flight condition is another mystery to me. Thank you in advance for any help.:flyer:

-Bill

The easiest way is to call tech at Horizon. He will talk you thru it. On the other question. Set the low rate by the book. It will work. I always start at 20% expo and up to 60% on high.
My radio has a 3 rate switch. low,high and stupid. After enough flights I will stay in high adjusting to expo to fit my style. I always take off in low unless I feel froggy that day.
I reread you question and the answer is yes your radio will do two servo's on the elevator and two on the wing. If you need help setting up the servo's after the programing send me a PM and i will call you and help. Dennis

Last edited by a moderator:

mazjag

50cc
Your DX7 will do that no problem.I did it on a DX6...Its been a while, but I want to say you plug one elevator servo into the elev. port and the other into the gear..Then go to your mix..you want to do a elevator/gear mix...The switch position should be on so its always active.you may have to reverse a channel to get it work correctly.. I want to say that is how its done...On the rates....set your low at 50 travel and 40% expo....you can always land it and crank it up ...go too much and you`ll be lucky to land or have to adjust in the air....ask me how I know...I had one with a Saito .100....Just bought another on closeout...nice plane...hit me up if you need help...jason

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Thanks guys I appreciate it. The guy at the local hobby shop sold me a "Y" harness with a built in reverser. He said to plug in the servos to the harness and plug the harness in to the elevator input. The reverser on the harness can be set and fine tuned to get each servo perfectly matched. Does this sound right to you? do i use this in conjunction with the mixing? All the manual calls for is two 24" extentions and mixing through the radio. No mention of what ports on the receiver to hook them too. I tend to believe the manual, With the help of you fine folks and this forum, I'll get it.

-Bill

gyro

GSN Contributor
Bill,

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. You don't need any extra (and probably expensive) hardware from the hobby store. They shouldn't have sold that to you had they asked which radio you have. Hopefully you can return it.

On page 13 of the manual (download here), it shows how to tell the radio that the model has dual elevator servos. It's done via wing type.
You'll want to follow the instructions to set the wing type to DUAL ELEV.
That's it! Just plug one servo extension into the ELE slot, and one into the AUX1 slot on your receiver, (unless you have dual aileron servos, in which case the ailerons are in AIL and AUX1, and the elevators should be in ELE and AUX2).
Once installed, you can use the sub-trim for each servo separately. And if they don't move together, don't fret! Just go into the menu, and reverse the servo that is moving in the wrong direction.

Hope this helps!

-G

mazjag

50cc
My bad...I was close...I forgot that its in the manual as well...Thanks Bill for putting him back on track...Jason

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Perfect! Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I will have no trouble returning the "Y" harness with the reverser circuitry in it.They love me at my LHS (i spend enough). I have flown rc helis for years but now my 13 year old son want to fly planes so I'm getting back in to them. I have to admit the technology has left me behind for sure. When I flew planes they were four channel and no one ever dreamed of 3D or the flying of today. My plane was a great planes PT-40 top wing no ailerons. I sure have a lot to learn...... Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

-Bill

gyro

GSN Contributor
Perfect! Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I will have no trouble returning the "Y" harness with the reverser circuitry in it.They love me at my LHS (i spend enough). I have flown rc helis for years but now my 13 year old son want to fly planes so I'm getting back in to them. I have to admit the technology has left me behind for sure. When I flew planes they were four channel and no one ever dreamed of 3D or the flying of today. My plane was a great planes PT-40 top wing no ailerons. I sure have a lot to learn...... Thanks again, I'm sure I'll have more questions.

-Bill

You'll find no shortage of friendly and helpful people here, so ask away when you need something!

Glad we could help :)

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Well I'm back again my friends. I have all the radio eq. set in the Katana and I'm almost done with the build. I now need to set my control surface throws. My question is, How do you do the low and high rates? Do you set the low rates by adjusting the servo travel limits for flight condition 1 until you have the desired control surface throw distance? And then set the servo travel limits 3D (or flight condition 2) to obtain the max level throw for the surfaces. I also wonder if you tie in the elevator and alierons to the flight condition switch and leave the rudder on rudder d/r so it can be set up to give a high rate of throw for stall turns while flight condition 1 is still active. Wow, I hope you can understand that mess! Also the expo values that might be good to use as a starting point for each condition. Mazjag had mentioned 50% travel and 40 expo. I will start there. The travel he mentions must be the servo travel for low rates which I take to also mean flight condition 1. The receiver I'm using is the Spectrum 8000 and the radio is the DX7S. I would also like some input, or advise on a good charger for 5 cell, 6 volt, 2300Mah NiMh receiver packs. That is what I will be running in the planes this year. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I am a serious newbie to this generation of flying! Heck, Helicopters are easy compared to these. I guess it is all what you are familiar with. Thanks again.

-Bill

SnowDog

Typically I set the plane up for maximum travel and use that for high rates. Then low rates are set as a percentage of that. My radio has triple rate switches so I set three different rate configurations
I don't have a Spectrum radio, I have an Airtronics SD-10G, but I"m sure the setup is similar. For expo, pick a starting point and adjust from there as you get a feel for it. Does that help at all?