• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Katana 50 from Hangar nine set up

gyro

GSN Contributor
Well I'm back again my friends. I have all the radio eq. set in the Katana and I'm almost done with the build. I now need to set my control surface throws. My question is, How do you do the low and high rates? Do you set the low rates by adjusting the servo travel limits for flight condition 1 until you have the desired control surface throw distance? And then set the servo travel limits 3D (or flight condition 2) to obtain the max level throw for the surfaces. I also wonder if you tie in the elevator and alierons to the flight condition switch and leave the rudder on rudder d/r so it can be set up to give a high rate of throw for stall turns while flight condition 1 is still active. Wow, I hope you can understand that mess! Also the expo values that might be good to use as a starting point for each condition. Mazjag had mentioned 50% travel and 40 expo. I will start there. The travel he mentions must be the servo travel for low rates which I take to also mean flight condition 1. The receiver I'm using is the Spectrum 8000 and the radio is the DX7S. I would also like some input, or advise on a good charger for 5 cell, 6 volt, 2300Mah NiMh receiver packs. That is what I will be running in the planes this year. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I am a serious newbie to this generation of flying! Heck, Helicopters are easy compared to these. I guess it is all what you are familiar with. Thanks again.

-Bill

I use three rates, and set them all for one switch. On my low rates, I use 40-50% expo and about 70% on mid and high rates.
When I setup a plane, I usually program my travel adjust for 140-150% to get the full power of the servo.
Then, I use the dual rates feature to setup my throws for my 3 rates.

Hope this helps.

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Well I'm back again my friends. I have all the radio eq. set in the Katana and I'm almost done with the build. I now need to set my control surface throws. My question is, How do you do the low and high rates? Do you set the low rates by adjusting the servo travel limits for flight condition 1 until you have the desired control surface throw distance? And then set the servo travel limits 3D (or flight condition 2) to obtain the max level throw for the surfaces. I also wonder if you tie in the elevator and alierons to the flight condition switch and leave the rudder on rudder d/r so it can be set up to give a high rate of throw for stall turns while flight condition 1 is still active. Wow, I hope you can understand that mess! Also the expo values that might be good to use as a starting point for each condition. Mazjag had mentioned 50% travel and 40 expo. I will start there. The travel he mentions must be the servo travel for low rates which I take to also mean flight condition 1. The receiver I'm using is the Spectrum 8000 and the radio is the DX7S. I would also like some input, or advise on a good charger for 5 cell, 6 volt, 2300Mah NiMh receiver packs. That is what I will be running in the planes this year. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out. I am a serious newbie to this generation of flying! Heck, Helicopters are easy compared to these. I guess it is all what you are familiar with. Thanks again.

-Bill

Hey Bill, glad to see you here asking the big newbie questions! It wasn't to long ago I was in your same position.

On your quest, I would try the manufacturers (suggested reading by GYRO) recommended low settings, and set the D/R just a little higher (use position '3' as noted below for a reference to whats really high) with a little more EXPO than the first for position '2'.

Once you get that baby trimmed, and a few landings in on position '1,' start adding or subtracting (Expo and D/R) to position '2' until you feel like you have basic aerobatic maneuvers dialed in. Position '3,' or 3D rates, for me, is the max travel (**see note below.) I can get without binding

Your rudder should be a max travel throughout the various D/R settings, only expo will change. As Gyro mentioned, I would tie all D/R and Expo surface controls to one easy-to-reach switch. Since the rudder is at max through all of the positions, you won't have another switch to flip.

Remember EXPO softens the feel of the surfaces around center stick and then moves them quickly as you move the stick away from center in any given direction.

For help with the mechanical linkages, I would suggest picking a few manufactures web sites (3DHS, Extreme Flight, Etc.) and watching their build videos for some tips. I know Extreme Flight has a great build video series on the MXS.

**Please note: Travel limits or "Travel Adjust" is there for your servo/surface protection, it will limit the travel of the whole so that one or the other doesn't become damaged. All suggested throws should be adjusted in the D/R screen, not travel adjust. For my own sanity, I think of "Travel Adjust" and D/R as two totally separate entities, even though they essentially do the same thing. (ie. limit travel.) If you set the Travel Adjust to the mfg. recommended minimum settings, the D/R will not be able to move the surface further than that set point, to counter this, if you turn this up to 140 or 150 you may begin to break things if the mechanical setup doesn't allow for it. To have this set correctly, you want the travel adjust to be equal (on the screen and in the degrees of movement on the control surface) on both sides (up, down, right, left) as well as the movement to be at a mechanical maximum without buzzing or binding. Than use the D/R to dial it back.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Typically I set the plane up for maximum travel and use that for high rates. Then low rates are set as a percentage of that. My radio has triple rate switches so I set three different rate configurations
I don't have a Spectrum radio, I have an Airtronics SD-10G, but I"m sure the setup is similar. For expo, pick a starting point and adjust from there as you get a feel for it. Does that help at all?

Yes it does, thank you. My Spectrum 7S has two rate selections. I would like to tie the elevators and alierons to the "flight condition" 1&2 switch. I would then leave the rudder on the rudder D/R switch, seperate from the others. That way I can have the airplane flying in flight condition 1 (low rates) and still be able to flip the rudder to high rate and do great stall turns. Does this sound like a logical way to do it? As for setting the "low rates", is this done by limiting the servo travel? If so I think I can figure this out from there. Now I just hope that makes sense. Thanks again guys I do appreciate your patience with me!:)

-Bill

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Thank you Econpatric and Gyro! I did not see page two of the replies when I posted earlier. OK so here we go, I will NOT tie the rudder in with other surfaces and just leave it at max throw. I only have 2 settings on the 7S so I am limited there however, I will set #2 for the high rates and fiddle with the expo for both conditions. I have a much clearer understanding now. I appreciate all of you taking time to see this through for me. Nice forum Great people.

-Bill

econpatric

70cc twin V2
Thank you Econpatric and Gyro! I did not see page two of the replies when I posted earlier. OK so here we go, I will NOT tie the rudder in with other surfaces and just leave it at max throw. I only have 2 settings on the 7S so I am limited there however, I will set #2 for the high rates and fiddle with the expo for both conditions. I have a much clearer understanding now. I appreciate all of you taking time to see this through for me. Nice forum Great people.

-Bill

Really up to you, but you may want to tie the rudder in with the other two, just so your expo value changes with the other surfaces in that 'condition'... Good luck on the Maiden!

gyro

GSN Contributor
Really up to you, but you may want to tie the rudder in with the other two, just so your expo value changes with the other surfaces in that 'condition'... Good luck on the Maiden!

I personally have my rudder on 70 expo for low, and 80 for high. I also reduce the rudder throw to 80% of full deflection on low rates... And yes, all three are on one switch.

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Hi everyone,

well I'm all done, and have it programmed thanks to all of you. I was trying to adjust the controls with "servo setup" on my radio and messing with the travel. I found that not to be correct. I went in to the d/r expo setting of the radio and I now understand everything you have been telling me. I have set the 3 surfaces, elevator, aleiron, and rudder to the flap switch of my radio. That switch has 3 positions and I set it up with low rates for the alerion and elevator being 50% and 45 expo. position two is slightly more of bothe at 65% and 60 expo. Third position is 100% and 70% expo. The rudder is tied to that switch and is set up exactaly like GYRO said. Checking the surface throws against the manual at low rate it is 1/32" under what it calls for. Everything look great! Thanks all. I'll give you a shout after the maiden voyage, when this 2 feet of snow melts!!

-Bill

Kapt'n Katana

New to GSN!
Hello Again! I took the katana on the maiden voyage yesterday. It was perfect, flew great and flies like it is on a track. I went to a local field, and as I was pulling in the drive I saw a gentleman who taught me to fly rc helicopters flying one of his scratch built models. I said to my son, "perfect, this will be a bonus". I had the Gentleman look over everything on the Katana, we started the engine. ( evolution 52 ). Got it idling reliably, and he took it off for me. Very little trim needed. He handed me the controls and said, "flies like a big baby" A few quick rolls, some inverted, a few figure 8s, I was loving it! Then I asked my 13 year old son who has never flown on anything but the simulator if he would like to fly it. He said sure but what if I crash. I said don't worry about that just do what you have done on the simulator for the last 3 months. I handed him the controller and watched as he flew nice circles out in front of him. He did great after some coaching of adding some up elevator to the turns. The smile on his face was worth it all. My mentor landed it and I took it home in one piece! Thanks to all of you for your help. I'm going to have a ball with this plane all summer. On the ride home my son said, "dad, this is a hobby I think I'll enjoy for the rest of my life".

-Bill

gyro

GSN Contributor
Hello Again! I took the katana on the maiden voyage yesterday. It was perfect, flew great and flies like it is on a track. I went to a local field, and as I was pulling in the drive I saw a gentleman who taught me to fly rc helicopters flying one of his scratch built models. I said to my son, "perfect, this will be a bonus". I had the Gentleman look over everything on the Katana, we started the engine. ( evolution 52 ). Got it idling reliably, and he took it off for me. Very little trim needed. He handed me the controls and said, "flies like a big baby" A few quick rolls, some inverted, a few figure 8s, I was loving it! Then I asked my 13 year old son who has never flown on anything but the simulator if he would like to fly it. He said sure but what if I crash. I said don't worry about that just do what you have done on the simulator for the last 3 months. I handed him the controller and watched as he flew nice circles out in front of him. He did great after some coaching of adding some up elevator to the turns. The smile on his face was worth it all. My mentor landed it and I took it home in one piece! Thanks to all of you for your help. I'm going to have a ball with this plane all summer. On the ride home my son said, "dad, this is a hobby I think I'll enjoy for the rest of my life".

-Bill

That is what it's all about right there!
Glad you had such a successful maiden, and such an enjoyable experience with your son.
I've got a couple more years to go before I can take my daughter with me flying, and I can't wait!

The only thing that is missing are some pics of the plane!

-G