• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mac Users

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Any Mac users here?  I was curious what you hear about OS X Yosemite?  I just don't follow computer stuff like I did and was wondering if it's okay to upgrade

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
got the same email today but not sure yet what i'm going to do about it.  i've got a 27" iMac so i guess the upgrade applies to me too.  i'm not a huge Apple guy so I never know what the heck is going on with them!

more info on the Yosemite release

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/news/new-apple-announcements-wwdc-2014

also got an email from B&H today, Apple announced a new 27" iMac with a 5k retina display.  I saw a 4K display at Costco a couple of months ago, ultra HD is definitely here!

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Bartman said
got the same email today but not sure yet what i'm going to do about it.  i've got a 27" iMac so i guess the upgrade applies to me too.  i'm not a huge Apple guy so I never know what the heck is going on with them!

more info on the Yosemite release

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/computers/news/new-apple-announcements-wwdc-2014

also got an email from B&H today, Apple announced a new 27" iMac with a 5k retina display.  I saw a 4K display at Costco a couple of months ago, ultra HD is definitely here!
I saw that 4K at Costco as well and can only imagine what 5K would be like.  I am using a 27" Apple Cinema display for my PC laptop through docking station at work and would love to see a 4 or 5 k version of that too. 

SlowHuck

Bling, bling for flying things.
Ohio.AV8TOR said
Any Mac users here?  I was curious what you hear about OS X Yosemite?  I just don't follow computer stuff like I did and was wondering if it's okay to upgrade
I would recommend it. I did as soon as it was released. The only downside is that it occupies slightly more memory, but I have encountered no slowdowns or bugs.. It is a signifigant improvement in itegration with iPhone and iCloud. A Safari upgrade is part of it and includes some really nice touches. Most of the Apple software packages must be upgraded (free) to take advantage of new features. Some utilities, notably Onyx, have not caught up yet.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
still growling over Mavericks making my Autocad 2012 unusable 
icon_sad.gif

SlowHuck

Bartman said
still growling over Mavericks making my Autocad 2012 unusable 
icon_sad.gif
I can beat that! I have a PC running WinNT sitting under my Mac so that I can run TurboCAD-CAM [blush].

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
have a VersaCad backup on 3.5" floppies that were rendered useless when Win95 came out.   double
icon_sad.gif
    who at MS dropped the ball on that one?

would actually love to get back to Graphite Vellum CAD, that's a good one.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
Bartman said 

would actually love to get back to Graphite Vellum CAD, that's a good one.
I don't know about current versions of Vellum but I hated that program back in the late 80's and 90's because I programmed CAM for machining 3 and 5 axis parts and believe it or not Vellum is/was pixel based not vector based.  You would bring the file in CAM and go to chain a machine path and it would stop at every intersection.  The problem was it really wasn't an intersection because the lines never were connected.  I use Unigraphics NX now on the PC sometimes at work but I still play around with Rhino 3D which has a longtime Mac beta test going.  You can sign up and basically its free.  Rhino is pretty cool for a lower cost professional cad program. 

SlowHuck

Good review covering the benefits of the new Safari. I have noticed a significant improvement in speed...

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/22/apple-encouraging-safari-downloads