• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mac Users

SlowHuck

Bling, bling for flying things.
Ohio.AV8TOR said

I still play around with Rhino 3D which has a longtime Mac beta test going.  You can sign up and basically its free.  Rhino is pretty cool for a lower cost professional cad program. 
I'll have to revisit Rhino. I downloaded it and it looked good, but when I started getting sales emails and checked out the retail price, I lost interest. I assume it supports DXF. Does it contain any CAM functions?

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
SlowHuck said

I'll have to revisit Rhino. I downloaded it and it looked good, but when I started getting sales emails and checked out the retail price, I lost interest. I assume it supports DXF. Does it contain any CAM functions?
I always used MasterCam when I used Cam but I have seen where there are some third party CAM programs that run right inside Rhino.  One that I have heard is MecSoft and here is a link.  My last purchased version of Rhino is 4.0 and I believe that this needs 5.0.   Do a search on rhino 3d cad/cam and there are some demo videos.  Speaking of which there is an abundance of free online tutorials to learn Rhino.  My hands are full learning NX right now so like I said have not been using Rhino for a while.  

Rhino supports a lot of import and export options.  I cut a lot of basswood plugs for fiberglass molds from using Rhino both helicopter and planes.  

SlowHuck

Bling, bling for flying things.
Ohio.AV8TOR said

Rhino supports a lot of import and export options.  I cut a lot of basswood plugs for fiberglass molds from using Rhino both helicopter and planes.  
I have a Sherline setup and have made a couple of parts with the help of a friend who used AutoCAD/GibbsCAM to generate the G-code for me. Amazing software combination, but WAY too spendy for a hobby user. Would like to move over to a Mac solution, for the modeling part of it at least. Being able to output tool paths from the Mac for transfer to my little robot would be a plus.

Not sure where this will all lead, but I hope to manufacture small parts for $$ someday.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
Just completed updating to Yosemite and, lo and behold, AutoCad is working again but now my license is expired!

I'll have to read up on what I just got myself into with the update but I guess enough ACad users complained for them to make older version usable again. 
icon_smile.gif

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
apple mail isn't working now.  this isn't the week for me to have an email problem, it just isn't.

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
quote from an apple user experiencing the same email problems

"it really is a disaster and besmirches the name of a beautiful place.

Seriously, you would have thought the os8 debacle would have taught them a lesson.

yosemite may be apple's vista."

ouch!

Bartman

Defender of the Noob!
there's a setting for each email account that is automatically checked (function of new software) that tells Apple Mail to use auto settings for mail boxes.  it has to be unchecked and then you have to go back and check all of the setting since the auto function probably screwed everything up.

i think i've got my mailboxes sorted out.