Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mini lathe (and mill) discussion.

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale RC General Discussions' started by dhal22, Nov 13, 2019.

1. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Back on my 'I need (want) a mini lathe' mood. Anyone have an opinion? Soooo many options out there.

Alky6 and pawnshopmike like this.
  2. Only opinion I have is bigger is better.

Alky6 likes this.
  3. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

I have a HF 9"X19" lathe and a cheap Grizzley mill/drill. I wish the lathe had cross feed but you need to get into a $2000 machine for cross feed. For the hobby both machines can do whatever I need. There are some nice machines on Craig's list, at least in my area.

Alky6 likes this.
  4. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

Ain't that the truth!

pawnshopmike likes this.
  5. dhal22

I've missed 2 or 3 on Craigslist recently. Gotta tighten up.

6. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    All I can say to you is this, this is one machine you get what you pay for. I know go for quality and precision and not-size you will regret it. If it does not cut accurately and is not steady and vibrates while cutting because it is to light. Buying a lathe is difficult. This is machine that should come from Europe, England, Germany or Italy.

dhal22 likes this.
  7. dhal22

There aren't many made in Europe.

8. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    You are correct and difficult to buy from Europe but there are few good ones left.

9. dhal22

Taig and shareline are American made.

10. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    Yes they are nice little lathes, but very limited in what you can do with them.

dhal22 likes this.