• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mini lathe (and mill) discussion.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I have 7 by 19 and is definitely to small for me. My biggest problem is the hole through the stock head I wish it was 1 1/8 diameter minimum.

pawnshopmike

Staff member
I have 7 by 19 and is definitely to small for me. My biggest problem is the hole through the stock head I wish it was 1 1/8 diameter minimum.
Snoop hit the nail on the head. Spindle Bore Diameter is the #1 thing I look at when it comes to lathes. I wish they made smaller lathes with larger spindle bores.

TonyHallo

150cc
You will use the lathe for many things unrelated to airplanes. It's not so much the size of the parts but more the power of the machine that's doing the work.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
The little machine shop or micro mark 7x16 is one of the bigger mini lathes. Wonder if either will have a black Friday sale?

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The little machine shop or micro mark 7x16 is one of the bigger mini lathes. Wonder if either will have a black Friday sale?
Dahal it is very difficult to advise someone when buying equipment. But like everyone or I should say most once you have one you realize what you can do with it and you want more, just like me the one I have is great machine but would love to have a bigger better sturdier machine. But as you I started with a 7 by 16 and it has done me just fine, and will probably never replace it.