• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Mini lathe (and mill) discussion.

TonyHallo

150cc
That's a nice machine with nice features, 1" bore, power cross feed, 3" travel on the tail stock, 4 jaw chuck included, hell get the 30" with DRO!!!!!

WMcNabb

150cc
Come on guys, tell your wife's what I told mine. That ring cost me more than I could ever spend in this hobby, don't make me sell it.

Attachments

• 68E0CF9C-912B-437C-8446-5C5F4D24FBCF.jpeg
    68E0CF9C-912B-437C-8446-5C5F4D24FBCF.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 343

acerc

640cc Uber Pimp
Sorry brother but in my household I don't touch hers and she don't touch mine. Ask me how this came to be? He, he, he!!!!

TonyHallo

150cc
The DRO is very useful, I wish I had it on my lathe. For carriage work I will setup a 1" dial on the the tail stock and use it to move the carriage the desired amount like making parts like engine standoffs the same length.
I see it is a $500 option. Decided to see what is available on Banggood and ended up buying a 2 axis 0-970 mm unit for 104$, of course I need to install it. Can't wait.
Here is a photo of a Harbor Freight 6" digital caliper mounted on the Z feed on my mill. I fiddled around for a day or so getting this mounted. Sawed the unnecessary fittings off and cut to length, works great. Touch the part, hit the zero and off you go.
The $500 may be well spent, of course it is easy when spending others money!!!
IMG_2708.JPG

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
The DRO is very useful, I wish I had it on my lathe. For carriage work I will setup a 1" dial on the the tail stock and use it to move the carriage the desired amount like making parts like engine standoffs the same length.
I see it is a $500 option. Decided to see what is available on Banggood and ended up buying a 2 axis 0-970 mm unit for 104$, of course I need to install it. Can't wait.
Here is a photo of a Harbor Freight 6" digital caliper mounted on the Z feed on my mill. I fiddled around for a day or so getting this mounted. Sawed the unnecessary fittings off and cut to length, works great. Touch the part, hit the zero and off you go.
The $500 may be well spent, of course it is easy when spending others money!!!View attachment 112976
Nicely done like the idea. Will keeping my eye out for a cheap digital calliper. Will do the same thing thanks for the idea.

TonyHallo

150cc
I just went back to Banggood and realized I made a mistake in ordering, the linear scales are a fixed length and can not be cut to size. I canceled the order and reordered the correct lengths along with the 2 axis display. The order now stands at $224 so the $500 installed option is looking better. If this works out well will add a three axis to the milling machine.