• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Discussion My Favorite Charger. Pros & Cons

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Its an awesome charger though! Probably the best charger you can buy! You gotta find a really powerful power supply though. And be careful about blowing a circuit.:)

You caught me at a weak moment, i just went and ordered myself one:banana:

Don't tell my wife:sadface:

Last edited by a moderator:

Murocflyer

70cc twin V2
Come on now, I had my heart set on a PL6! You can't be throwing out another great choice like that. Now I gotta go read what the iCharger 4010 Duo is all about.

Frank

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
Well i got my iCharger 4010Duo. This thing is a beast!. It might look like a 1980's game console but it sure packs a big punch. Already done some charging with combined amp output of 65A (far more than any other charger available anywhere) and it didn't even raise a sweat. The heat-sink in this thing is massive and it has two big fans in the back so it runs cool and quiet.
Operating the thing takes a little getting used to as the controls differ from the typical 4 button interface. The dial on the 4010 is a improvement but it just takes a while to get used to. The colour screen is great as it gives all the data you need on a single display rather than having to scroll through screens to get the info you need.
About the only minor negative point I can level at it is that it's missing the temperature sensing cables that you can use to monitor battery temperature. All the 'lesser' iChargers come with these cables but for some unfathomable reason on the most expensive model you have to buy them as extras, and no dealer carries them. More a niggle than a real issue because I've never really needed the sensors.

Need a new charger and I'm looking at either the PL6 or 306B. What are the major differences between the two? Is one better then the other? Thanks!

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
The PL6 has a higher max output current, 40A compared to 30A for the iCharger. The 306B has higher discharge capability, 80W compared to 50W, so you can discharge batteries for storage quicker on the iCharger. The PL6 has some nice PC connectivity for displaying charging data and for advanced programming, if you are likely to use that feature. The iCharger is a little more compact

The iCharger is a fair bit cheaper, at least in this part of the world, maybe different where you are?

Ihad the 3010b (very similar to the 306b) for a year and it did all i asked of it and more, but equally the PL6 has a great reputation... Take your choice, I'm sure you would be happy with either.

Ohio AV8TOR

Just Do It
The 306B has higher discharge capability, 80W compared to 50W, so you can discharge batteries for storage quicker on the iCharger.

While this statement is true there is a counter side that needs mentioned, for balancing discharge power (this is used on every charge not just time to time I could not fly all my packs) the PL6 has twice the balancing power. The 306b is <500mA and the PL6 is 1000mA. I had a problematic 4S 5300 battery that always seemed to hang at the almost finished charging on my 306 but still waiting for the balancing to take place. With my PL8 is flys right through that. The PL8 for what it is worth has the same 1000mA balance discharging but it does have more than the 306b for discharge at 100w

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
The balance power is a fair point but in most cases if the cells are fairly well balanced it shouldn't make any/much difference to charge time, should it? I dont think the balance power comes into it on discharging as i don't think either charger balances when discharging to storage (could be wrong)?

I don't think many would argue that the PL6 isnt a slightly higher spec charger, but it's also more expensive, so it all depends on what you need/want and what you can afford.

Steve_B

70cc twin V2
The PL8 for what it is worth has the same 1000mA balance discharging but it does have more than the 306b for discharge at 100w

For what it's worth #2.. The iCharger 4010b has a total discharge power of 200W and a total balance discharge current of 2400mA:popcorn: