• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Nelitz 1/3 scale Cub build

TonyHallo

150cc
Did you tap the tube or just screw the axle in? Now when you get that lathe you can make yourself a set of drums and backing plates.
000_0538.JPG
000_0536.JPG

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Did you tap the tube or just screw the axle in? Now when you get that lathe you can make yourself a set of drums and backing plates.

Just screwed it in. Just a temporary fit and it was so tight it will suffice for a long time. YES on drums. I've been drawing up ideas for weeks and not happy yet. And the drums are why I bought the lathe. Although I might need a bigger lathe for 1/3 scale drums. This lathe is better for very small parts.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Lathe came with 1 cutting tool, I'm ordering more. Buying extras (live center, face plate, 4 jaw chuck, etc) on ebay, more cutting tools arrived from Sherline today.

The lathe runs fine. I need to figure the belt arrangement out. The 3 jaw chuck is a little stiff. I will break it down and clean/oil it. I think it's too small for the wheel hubs so will table that for a bigger lathe. It will work fine for little pieces elsewhere though.

TonyHallo

150cc
I would get a chuck for the tail stock if you don't have one and the live center. The four jaw chuck is nice but if you do plan to get a bigger machine I would wait. I think I used my face plate once in the past seven years or so. The 3 jaw chuck and the tail stock drill are used 98% of the time in my experience. https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5135 this is one of the best tools that I have found.

Snoopy1

640cc Uber Pimp
I agree never used my face plate. One that I changed on my machine is quick tool changing and a very good drill chuck with out a key.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
Faceplate was pretty cheap, agree on the four jaw Chuck, I won't buy that then. Live Center was pretty cheap as well.

dhal22

GSN Sponsor Tier 1
And yes on tailstock Chuck. Haven't decided on which one yet on eBay but will buy this weekend.