Welcome To GiantScaleNews.com

GSN is the BEST in an RC online community. Less corporate BS and more down home fun. Better conversations with REAL RC'ers. Don't settle for the biggest when you can have the best!
  1. If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

Scale Nelitz 1/3 scale Cub build

Discussion in 'Giant / Scale Scratch and Kit Build Threads' started by dhal22, Feb 9, 2018.

1. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

Did you tap the tube or just screw the axle in? Now when you get that lathe you can make yourself a set of drums and backing plates. 000_0538.JPG 000_0536.JPG

Snoopy1, WMcNabb, dhal22 and 2 others like this.
  2. dhal22

dhal22 GSN Sponsor Tier 1

Just screwed it in. Just a temporary fit and it was so tight it will suffice for a long time. YES on drums. I've been drawing up ideas for weeks and not happy yet. And the drums are why I bought the lathe. Although I might need a bigger lathe for 1/3 scale drums. This lathe is better for very small parts.

TonyHallo likes this.
  3. dhal22

This lathe.

Attached Files:

pawnshopmike and Snoopy1 like this.
  4. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

How does the lathe work? Did you get all the tooling with it?

5. dhal22

Lathe came with 1 cutting tool, I'm ordering more. Buying extras (live center, face plate, 4 jaw chuck, etc) on ebay, more cutting tools arrived from Sherline today.

The lathe runs fine. I need to figure the belt arrangement out. The 3 jaw chuck is a little stiff. I will break it down and clean/oil it. I think it's too small for the wheel hubs so will table that for a bigger lathe. It will work fine for little pieces elsewhere though.

6. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

I would get a chuck for the tail stock if you don't have one and the live center. The four jaw chuck is nice but if you do plan to get a bigger machine I would wait. I think I used my face plate once in the past seven years or so. The 3 jaw chuck and the tail stock drill are used 98% of the time in my experience. https://littlemachineshop.com/products/product_view.php?ProductID=5135 this is one of the best tools that I have found.

dhal22 and Snoopy1 like this.
  7. Snoopy1

Snoopy1 640cc Uber Pimp

Canada
    I agree never used my face plate. One that I changed on my machine is quick tool changing and a very good drill chuck with out a key.

8. dhal22

Faceplate was pretty cheap, agree on the four jaw Chuck, I won't buy that then. Live Center was pretty cheap as well.

9. dhal22

And yes on tailstock Chuck. Haven't decided on which one yet on eBay but will buy this weekend.

10. TonyHallo

TonyHallo 70cc twin V2

Make sure it will go down to 1/32", zero is better. I'm old fashion I prefer a key. Get a Jacobs chuck, you will not be sorry.

dhal22 likes this.