• If you are new to GiantScaleNews.com, please register, introduce yourself, and make yourself at home.

We're 1st in Giant Scale RC because we've got the best membership on the internet! Take a look around and don't forget to register to get all of the benefits of GSN membership!

Welcome!

New Here? Introduce yourself!

Dad_Roman

New to GSN!
Hey who let that hoodlum in here?.....no wait....I mean...wow we let someone that old into the forum?....no wait...um....there goes the neighborhood?

Nah, just kiddin, DR is a good friend of mine from the Twistaholics thread (among other places)...and he builds a mean airplane too...and he's an all around good guy to know...welcome [MENTION=2849]Dad_Roman[/MENTION]! :) :flyer:

:grrreat:

Who you callin OLD???:tongue:

Good to be here. Im in Texas....yes Im relatively warm here.

Like to fly Tele's, Twists, 4*'s and up to 150mph FunJets.

When I itch to 3D I seem to prefer the ole Multiplex Gemini. My boy and I will burn through about 20 batteries in a session:D

SnowDog

Well we are glad to help you in your endeavors! Any questions you may have just let us know! I know first hand the blade nano is a sweet little multirotor! I flew one several times last week. As far as getting started with new or used gear is more of a financial decision but since your first starting out trying to see if this is something for you I would get with a local club and find an instructor. Most clubs will get you up in the air with a club owned plane and let you fly it with the safety of the instructor and no cost to you!

ahem....that would be me (the instructor) ;) I already PM'd Joe and told him to come out to our field and I'd get him up in the air in no time. :)

local flying buddy == priceless!

JoeDotCom

New to GSN!
ahem....that would be me (the instructor) ;) I already PM'd Joe and told him to come out to our field and I'd get him up in the air in no time. :)

local flying buddy == priceless!
Yes, thanks [MENTION=2]SnowDog[/MENTION], I am super excited about getting started. Seems like there is a good group of guys here in the area. I am trying to get myself mentally prepared before the weather de-polarizes. :)

I have been scraping the local craigslist and also reading up on the Blade Nano quad. I'll be making my beginning move here shortly I think. :)

I work for a large high school in the area here, so I am wondering if that will be beneficial for me as I am friendly with the athletic director and we have an awesome fieldhouse that it might be fun to fly in. (though i wonder if I would have insurance issues)

By the way, what is "3D" flying anyway? from what i read it is related to the flight style, mainly for airplanes involving vertical hovering type tricks?

-Joe

3dNater

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=2850]JoeDotCom[/MENTION] it sounds like you are truly uninitiated :D That is awesome! Spend some time kicking around in the 3dpedia to get an idea of what maneuvers look like etc. You are kind of right about summarizing 3d flying as "involving vertical hovering type tricks" but it is so much more than that. 3d flying is about anything that is post-stall where the plane is flying mostly off of the power of the motor without the wings generating a lot of lift. Most moves typically called 3d flying are in this post-stall attitude. Over the past few years the flying style has really begun to shift to a mix of post-stall and high energy with elements of precision aerobatics. Some have started calling the new flying style simply Extreme Aerobatics or XA.

The best way to really get a taste of what 3d flying is is to watch videos of some of the top 3d pilots. There are tons of videos posted right here on 3drcforums.com in a variety of threads. There are a lot of videos posted in the video thread.

Anyway, you can tell I am excited about it and I hope you get hooked as well :D

dth7

3DRCF Regional Ambassador
[MENTION=2850]JoeDotCom[/MENTION] and any other brand new pilots. Determine what your goals are in the hobby and ask questions here before you go shopping. We have all made the mistakes and will gladly help you not repeat some of the bad ones. The list is too long so ask first and we will help. I think I'd be in the majority to recommend a simulator. Many use Real Flight but there are others. We even do online flying together and help each other out that way. Only catch is you need the same version to do that. However just having one to practice on is really key. If you go with planes a nice flat foamie- many use Twisted Hobbys makes a nice durable yard/ practice plane. Getting some help from Snowdog and other locals in your area will help a lot. Good luck. Don't be tempted by "pretty", cheap, foam planes that are RTF. They are pretty cheap foam planes! Ask me how I know. Great to have a "new" guy here.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoeDotCom

New to GSN!
Thanks for the reply. Right now I am leaning towards getting a Blade Nano quad to start. I'm really interested in working up to a full sized quad to use in my video work. Though I am keeping my eye peeled on Craigslist watching for a more hobby level piece of kit to come by at a crazy good price. I am realizing how important a good radio outs and how expensive they can be.

As for a SIM, I'm using indoorhelisim on my droid. Though without sticks it is pretty rough flying.

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
It sure has!!! And with that I would like to give a warm welcome to [MENTION=2854]ChiTownFlyer[/MENTION]! Welcome and we hope you enjoy the forums as much as we do! Need anything just ask!

3dmike

640cc Uber Pimp
Sending a welcome to [MENTION=2859]Jayaerobandit[/MENTION]! Welcome man. Tell us a little about yourself like where and what you fly!